Need some advise.

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by Mr_G, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Mr_G

Mr_G Member

I have a 66 c-10 fleetside. I've got a orig. 4 spd. w/3.73. what are the pros and cons on keeping this tranny or going A/T?

2. drabo

drabo Member

It's all on what makes you happy. For me the 700R4 swap was the way to go. But if you like banging gears then keep the stick shift. Is it four on the floor or on the tree? Swapping in a modern 5 speed floor shift might help make it better on the highway.

3. Vin63

Vin63 Member

It's really personal preference. With that rear gear, an overdrive might come in handy for the jaunts on the freeway. A 700R4 is a relatively easy swap.

4. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Member

weighing pro's and con's

im a trucker that grew up on twin stick tranny's ... yup, 5 speed main box with a 4 speed aux that split each gear in the main box. yu didnt use every combination, but still was a lot of shifting. when i got a truck with a 13 speed on a single stick i was in heaven lol

to me, i think it all depends on the daily service of the vehicle, as to which tranny to select. i enjoy a stick on the flats or in the hills, but if it's mostly city traffic or commuter service, i hate repeating the shift pattern over n over n over n over.... just to creep a 1/2 mile, know what i mean? that 700R4 could save your shoulder socket!

i think thats the main consideration ~ weekender or daily driver. even towing a trailer doesnt mean staying with a stick like it used to. todays torque converters have a virtual lock-up, not to mention most newer trannys totally lock-up with a clutch right in the converter. plus there are under-drives and over-drives for automatics like the TH400, 727 or C6. the 700R4 has an overdrive of course. most 4 wheel drive centers or RV shops can help you with their experience. dont forget a good online search for such aftermarket parts.

good luck :)

5. ExplorGM

ExplorGM Member

700r4

Just swapped a 700R4 for the Saginaw 4spd. (truck originally had a 6cyl and 3spd manual) Main reason was the one above, hated shifting up and down in traffic... My truck has a SBC, 3.73 gears and 295-50/15 tires. Just too loud on the freeway with the 4spd. Much better now with the OD and no hassle in stop and go traffic. Much more comfortable at 75+ as well out on the open highway. Also was able to move the shifter farther towards the front. The 4spd shifter was way too close to the seats. I am putting the factory bench back in (had buckets) and am reupholstering it. The bench would have been smacked by the 4spd shifter in 2nd and 4th. (on hold because LMC screwed me with the wrong seat bottom cover and they won't return my calls to rectify)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  6. markeb01

markeb01 Member

As stated above it’s really about personal preference and how the truck is used. Does it need to be practical or will it just be used for fun. I have a Honda CRV for driving in traffic. For fun my truck has a 350, Super T10 4 speed, and 4.10 rear gears. I wouldn’t enjoy driving the truck in stop and go traffic at all, but I'm retired and it sure is fun for blasting around locally. A low rear end gear is only a poor choice if it doesn’t match your needs. Mine is well suited for the application since the truck rarely goes on the freeway.