WTB: '53 driver's side rear fender with notch

Discussion in 'Truck Parts Wanted' started by TonyinKC, Nov 7, 2010.

1. TonyinKC

TonyinKC Member

Anyone out there have a nice original left rear outer fender with the spare tire notch for sale? Trying to find a nice one for my '53 3100 short bed resto.

Thanks!
    Tony in KC

2. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

fender

I bet your fender can be saved

3. gypsy truck

gypsy truck Member

4. TonyinKC

TonyinKC Member

Thanks for the heads up!

5. TonyinKC

TonyinKC Member

Thanks for the heads up. I went ahead and bought that nice fender. It would take alot to fix my boogered up original. I'm better off with this very nice original.

6. gypsy truck

gypsy truck Member

Good. I hope it works out for you. A little pricey for me, but if all the body work is already done on it and it is good work, then it would be worth it. I looked at that seller's completed listings and looks like he was in the body business. Probably hotrodding cars and such and then selling off the extra parts the client did not want. Let us know his quality of work will ya?

I found the instructions on how to cut out the indentation in a standard fender, flip it over, and re-weld it back to form the recess for the spare tire. Had my body man all set to go, but he just did not want to cut into a perfectly good fender, so i found a used one on ebay and shipped it via greyhound from California. It was not perfect, but i am sure body man was glad he had less work to do on it than the original plan. He'd probably still be sweating over it today if i had not done that.

Good luck to you - i love the look of the side spare mount tire on these trucks. If you need a carrier, i still have one that someone made. PM me for details if interested.

7. TonyinKC

TonyinKC Member

I think the quality of the body work is pretty good--it's a 9. Still needs some finish work to smooth out the low spots, but alot better than my original notched fender. I'll just reuse the original spare tire mounting.

Tony