Sanding Surface Rust

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GMC Pickups Talk' started by aje67, Aug 12, 2001.

1. aje67

aje67 Member

I do not have an air compressor and would like advice on sanding, possibly using an electric random/orbital sander.I am a novice and any good advice will be greatly appreciated!My truck body is in good shape but has as much surface rust as paint.

2. Big Bert

Big Bert Member

To remove the rust and paint if you only have electricity available I suggest you use a disc grinder with 80 grit and keep it moving do not not let heat build up by staying in one spot too long. Don't try to remove more rust and paint than you can seal with a good primer surfacer like "DP 90" by PPG automotive paint division. That's another problem you must face, the DP 90 doesn't come in cans so you need a compreesor at least with enough cfm capacity to spray the "DP 90". You will need the compressor to spray sandable primer which is the next step. I know you want to do your project without a compressor because that was the drift of your origional question but the truth of the matter is I don't really know how you can do body and paint work without benefit of an air compressor. Good luck, Bert

3. TucksPa

TucksPa Member

I too am a beginner in this restoration arena. I have a 1954 Chevy 1/2 ton Step side. I agree with Big Bert that a compressor would be a great tool with a couple of air tools to go with it. Where you are not doing this for a living, average tools would be OK. A couple of weeks ago Sears had a spray gun set for like $60 which isn't top of the line but will work with practice. They offer air tools also, unless you are one of the folks that doesn't like Craftsman tools.
    Good luck and keep updating your progress.:)

4. bubba_53panel

bubba_53panel Member

I just a beginner, but what I've done on my truck is use an angle grinder with a sanding disc. I haven't gotten to the paintin' part yet but my uncle has said he will help me so I don't ruin the work I've done so far by having runny paint and having to sand it off and start over on that section.:)