Merry christmas !

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by vwnate1, Dec 25, 2010.

1. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

To all the reticent old Truckers out there :D .

SWMBO & I drove out to Fontana to visit her Daughter and 16 Y.O. Grand Daughter who said she'd like to take a stab at driving this beast..... :p .

2. Roadhazardguy

Roadhazardguy Member

Merry Christmas!

So did you let her drive it? ... or I guess you drove something else down there. Is yours an auto or standard?

3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Teenaged Fun

I let her drive it but she either chickened out or her mother said no , I dunno .

It's a 292 C.I.D. InLine 6 Banger with a Muncie SM465 tranny , I figure if she can break that , it needed fixing anyways .

Yes , we drove it there and back , purred like a jaguar (no muffler) all the way there & home again...

We drove it to Malibu to - day to deliver a Motocycle to a hill top retreat off Latigo Canyon off Kanan Dume Road , I think those guys in their new 'Burbs & Pickups got a bit scared as we whizzed past , fully loaded with three in the cab and flaps all down as I have to keep the 6 Banger wound up else it'll slow down on the steep parts :D .

SWMBO began laughing as I roared up Latigo Cyn. in 2nd. gear , I asked why as I was driving slower just for her.... she said the bicycle guys crapped as we came 'round a blind curve :rolleyes: .

I even got a pic but the computer won't recognize SWMBO's camera so I can't (yet) down load it.... :mad: .

4. Roadhazardguy

Roadhazardguy Member

Yeah that's a pretty tough combo so if she was to break that there's something wrong.

My friend drove his 64 235 around for a while with it straight piped and it sounded like a miniature cummins, well except for the popping when letting off or downshifting. :D

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Christmas Fun

So. Cal. style : [​IMG]

As you can see , we're roughing it here in La La Land (home to Fruits , Nuts & Flakes) :p .

I have a minimal muffler on this one , I usually dispense with mufflers on 216 , 235 & 261 engines because they're so softly cammed the exhaust note is rather ' musical ' ~ I hauled loads up & down hill in Bel Air sans muffler in my scruffy old '46 and never got a second glace from the Po-Po .

As long as the exhaust pipe goes all the way back to the rear of the rig , it won't be overly loud nor obnoxious .

6. Roadhazardguy

Roadhazardguy Member

Yeah he had the pipe coming out in front of the rear tire and it was somewhat loud but nowhere close to as loud as my gmc was even with glass packs and the tips out to the corners. :)

Are those original plates?

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Original License Plates

Yep ;

I like to have them if I can.....

I worked on it a whole bunch yesterday and got the new dash lens and surround on , the original Delco AM/FM stereo installed , chrome bumper on the front and so on.....

I'm hoping to get the ventshades installed before we hit the road for Nevada Sunday night / Monday morning but who knows ? it's supposed to rain all weekend long dog gone it .

8. Roadhazardguy

Roadhazardguy Member

I looked back at some previous post and I saw that I already asked you that about the plates, :rolleyes: anyway they look good on there.