!@%!&! Hit & Runners !

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by vwnate1, Jan 5, 2011.

1. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

The day before we were to drive my '76 C-2500 to Las Vegas , I came out @ 0-Dark:30 to find some schmuck had clipped my driver's side mirror , shattering the glass and kept right on going :mad: .

As soon as we arrived in Nevada , I headed over to Henderson where one of my favorite Pick-A-Part junkyards is and SWMBO sat in the truck while I walked the yard looking , I was able to find two decent original ones and snagged one for $17.70 including entry fee and tax , installed it in the parking lot and drove away happy again .

The ruined mirror was an El-Cheapo Taiwanese one so no big loss although I remain pissed off about it .

There were several V-8 powered 4X4 short beds in there , too bad they don't sell whole vehicles .

2. Roadhazardguy

Roadhazardguy Member

That sucks, I really cant stand people like that!:mad:

Are the replacement stainless mirrors any good? Like the ones from classic parts or LMC, Im guessing that's what the el-cheapo ones are that you are referring to?

3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Replacement Mirror

When I bought it , it had Chinese repop copies of the stock ones , they were O.K. but cheap in every aspect .

The one I scavenged off the junkyard rig , as original right down to the screws & sealing washers , the metal is heavier and chrome a bit better etc.

It doesn't drift every time the door is closed like the Chinese one did .

As it turns out so often , I neglected to take glass cleaner & towels in with me and when I cleaned it up after installing it , there are some faint lateral scratches in the glass from where some DPO used a dirty rag to wipe off the dust in the desert ~ this is common and why I never buy used windshields for my used car rebuilders until I've cleaned them fully , inside and out ~ before I even remove them .

Oops :rolleyes: .

What the heck ~it's a work truck , not a show piece .