trailoring 1/2 ton

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by dorcutt, Jan 5, 2011.

1. dorcutt

dorcutt Member

Question of the month for is:

I need to relocate my truck from northern CT to northern VT this spring. I am looking at the options of a Uhaul car trailer or a car dolly. I would be pulling it with a 2009 GMC Sierra. I've got some mountains that I have to go through to get there for consideration. Any recommendations while I'm in the planning stages. Thanks as always for all imputs. Dave

2. Larrys 48

Larrys 48 Member

Dave - I used a Uhaul trailer to get my truck from San Francisco to Spokane. I believe they have an online calulator if you are computer literate. They get pretty good money for a one way haul, but it was a safe and secure way to go since my rig didn't "roll" and have good rubber when I got it. IMO - A tow bar easily will fit and connect to your front bumper mounts once you take the bumper off and if your truck "rolls" just fine might be the cheapest and safest way to go...

3. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

I drug mine from central Fla. to NC on a Uhaul trailer behind a v6 Dakota. You should have no problem.

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Trailering

My .02 :

Use a two axle trailer and make sure it has surge brakes .

Center the load's weight .

Others here will likely know more than I but I've done a lot of towing over the years , I don't mind going slow when the other possibility is death or my truck tits up in a ditch .

I recently towed my son's new HUGE toybox trailer that outweighs my '76 Jimmy by quite a bit , over hill & dale up to The High Desert and had no problems whatso ever , yes it took hours but the $80,000.00 trailer was his , the $700.00 GMC was mine so my priorities were in the proper order :rolleyes: .

5. 52wasp

52wasp Member

another two cents

If you can procure an enclosed trailer, it may be a good option if you have loose parts along with your truck to transport. I dragged Penny (my '53 3-window) and a heap of extra parts from NC to NH in a 24' enclosed trailer with my 1/2 ton '04 GMC, no problems. I had electric brakes already set up, but surge brakes are a good option which doesn't require the host vehicle to have a controller. Don't be alarmed when your 5.3L spends a significant amount of time in the upper rpm range.... And Nate hit it on the head with "drive at YOUR speed". The people rocketing past you at 80, drinking a mocha latte while texting, aren't transporting YOUR precious cargo.

6. kieth

kieth Member

Tow Bar

I bought a tow bar for $59.00 from Harbor Freight, remove your front bumper get a piece of angle iron and tow the darn thing.....also buy a set of magnetic lights $10.00 Drop the driveline and take it for a ride....use the pickup as a trailer......Then you have something after you get there and you spent a whole lot less money. Kieth

ps thing will follow you like a puppy if the front end is in alignment. be sure and tie the steerwheel when towing..........

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Flat Towing

Not really recommended on Torque Tubes unless you've taken the time to top up the gearbox and final drive oil...

Also , if it's in reasonable alignment , there's no need to tie the steering wheel as that will prevent it from following you like a puppy....

Tying the steering wheel is for back towing .

Of course you know to air up the tires as far as they'll safely go to reduce strain on the tow rig .

8. shooter2

shooter2 Member

Be sure to check state law before using surge brakes. They are illegal in KS. The law states you have to be able to activate the brake from the drivers position in the cab of the towing vehicle. This leaves only electric or the old electric over hydraulic. electric over vacuum is also illegal.

Jim

9. 51 HHR

51 HHR Member

Tow Bar

The State of New Jersey does not allow the use of Tow Bar on some highways and it seems your route may take you through there.
    Bill

10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Surge Brakes

That's :

A . amazing &

B . fairly stupid as I bet you can rent a two axle trailer with NO brakes from U-Haul..... those are O.K. but a surge brake is a big safety item on one use trailers where you don't want to modify the towing rig .

11. shooter2

shooter2 Member

surge brakes

Nate
    Kansas and Missouri both require brakes (one axle ) on tandem trailers. On anything that even looks commercial Kansas City Mo. will write you a ticket for anything that doesn't have brakes on every wheel. If you are lucky you can get by with one of those two wheel dolly things, they really frown on tow bars. Olathe Ks is worse than KC, Mo. I got a $700 ticket with a rented case uniloader on rented trailer with surge brakes in Olathe. Needless to say the Case dealer lost our business when they refused to reimburse us for their illegal trailer.

Jim