Switching Master Cylinders

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by Che, Jan 7, 2003.

1. Che

Che Member

Hola Everyone,
    Just bought my first project! A beautiful 65' fleetside. I intend to drive it alot, and have been told by all that the first order of business with any project is to start with the brakes. Right now I have the original round top master cylinder and it's single supply line feeding the front and rear drum brakes. I can't afford a disc brake conversion, but would like to improve it's safety.
    So, I'm thinking I'd like to atleast fix it so that I have seperate lines for the front and rear brakes.
    The question is, How do I do this? Is it as simple as installing a dual master cylinder and then rerouting the brake lines? Do you guys know if I'd have to make any other modifications or can I just plop in a dual 67' master cylider?

You're advice is greatly appreciated!

-Che

2. new62owner

new62owner Member

Che,

Chevy Duty has a ton of parts, as well as Kugel Komponents [a href=www.kugelkomponents.com]www.kugelkomponents.com[/a] and [a href=www.mpbrakes.com]www.mpbrakes.com[/a]

One of them should be able to help you out.

Good luck!

Rob Holden
    Born into the Chevy family. There is no substitute.

3. zenish

zenish Member

i used the 67 master cylinder,plugged the the tee on the front crossmember and ran a new line and hooked it to the rear line.

4. GreatNorthWoods

GreatNorthWoods Member

If you go with a dual reservoir master cylinder, just be sure to use one designed for four wheel drum brakes. If you use a disc/drum master cylinder you will have problems.

5. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

http://www.earlyclassic.com

6. big_dog

big_dog Member

The best way to fix your brake problem. Go to your local junkyard, get a set of disc brake spindels. i paid 25 buck for the ones on my truck, get some old rotors and calipers. (you will need them for a core charge)
    oh and get another master cylinder for disc brakes. The master cylinders on my 66 is off of a 78 chevy PU 1/2 ton without power brakes and the spindles are off of a 78 also. this gives you better stoping power.

big_dog
    66 LWB Step Side

7. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Feb-18-03 AT 01:31 PM (CST)]If you do this using old "yard" parts, be sure that you have everything checked and rebuilt BEFORE installing and test driving. Check rotors, calipers and replace the pads. Install NEW wheel bearings, and rubber break lines, and use NEW cotter pins for all re-assembly.

You can save a few hunderd dollars by using used parts, and having those rebuilt, over buying a kit with all new parts.

But DO NOT take chances with braking and steering modifications ! The life you save may be MINE!

Dvalentine

8. zenish

zenish Member

rebuilt calipers and master cylinders are cheap.use the junkyard ones for a core.

9. Che

Che Member

Thanks to all of those who replied!
    I just returned to the site after a breif absence. When I didn't get a quick reponse I thought maybe no one wanted to help. I will never doubt again! The advice and links you've suggested are great.
    My next move will be to go to disc.

As far as my current Master situation,
    I ended up buying a dual feed master cylinder from a 68'. Connected the seprate lines to the front and rear drums. The rear drums started to lock up so I picked up a proportioning valve from the junkyard. So far so good. Now I atleast have the comfort knowing that if one line busts I'll still be able to come to a stop, on my own terms.

Thanks again,
    Che

10. new62owner

new62owner Member

Che,

You can subscribe to the topic to get updates everytime someone posts to that topic. That's what I did. It's a great service Chevy Duty is providing. BTW, just ordered a new door lock for my 62. Not going to put one on the passenger's side, as it has the pull up lock on the Pass. door. Whenever I get a new ignition for my truck I should probably get the tumbler set to match the new door lock...

Cheers,

Rob