Paint

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by Melman, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Melman

Melman Member

Today I spoke with my truck painter. We looked up the original paint code for my truck. The code is on the dash pocket liner of my truck. We were able to decipher the code. We mixed up an ounce to verify the color, it looked correct.
    It looks like he will start painting the interior next week.Then the body will come next. Should be ready to put back together in a week or two. I can't wait to get it back home! This has been going on since 2008.:)

Attached Files:

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Wah HOO !

This is great .

What color and code is it ? .

I'm having another car re - sprayed next week by a older guy like me ,he asked me if it was O.K. to use single stage paints - of COURSE ! :) .

I don't like clear coats as no matter what , they don't last along as a good Acrylic Enamel does .

Metallics , of course , are a whole 'nother ballgame , clear coating is necessary .

Take lots of pix and keep us posted .

3. Melman

Melman Member

Color code

Nate,
    The color is 29U.It is the OEM color that came on the truck, dark blue.
    He is using the base coat with three coats clear, with a sanding between the 2nd and 3rd clear coat.:) He can't paint until the temp. here in Ga. gets above freezing. It was 21 deg. this morning.:eek:

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Pictures !

We're going to need some :D .

THREE coats of clear ? that's going to be a deep , beautiful mirror shine ! good deal .

5. Melman

Melman Member

Painted To-day

Hey Nate,
    The truck was painted today. I will get to see it Monday. I have some new pictures posted. It looks good from what I see in the photos. I will post more once I go by the shop.:D

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

New paint !

Woo-Hoo ! I can't wait to see it .

I picked up my old Mercedes and WOWIE ! :D who's car is that ? mine had peeling clearcoat and those PIA dings from end to end , now it looks like a new car again .

He even re - painted the hubcaps for me....

7. Melman

Melman Member

Painted Finally

Well here it is, I believe it was worth the wait. Nate post your photo of the Benz. I like some of the German cars. I was stationed in Germany from 71-73. I like the auto-bahn, no speed limit, I guess that was why I got so many tickets once I got back home. They had also dropped the speed limit here in GA:mad: from 70 to 55 (ouch)!

Attached Files:

8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Looks Nice !

Now , the slow & arduous assembly begins.....

I've stashed the 'Benz in SWMBO's garage for drying but I'll get a few snaps and post 'em up .

It's a 1984 Euro Spec. 7 passenger 300TD , W-123 chassis :p .

Low miles , I'm lucky to have found it , I'm building it for her as I'll just run it like the truck it is and ruin it....... :rolleyes: .

9. Roadhazardguy

Roadhazardguy Member

Ohh come on... you have to give us more pictures than that! :D It look great though! It looks like the same color blue as my gmc. What brand of paint did yall go with?

10. Melman

Melman Member

I forgot to ask the brand of paint. I was so excited about the paint job I didn't ask! I will post later. The color is Dark Blue which is the OEM color for that truck.
    You asked for more pictures. Look in the photos for these years on this site. You might get tired of looking at my photos! I have posted the progress as I reworked the truck and got it ready for paint. I will start putting it back together once the weather warms up some. I have to work outside, and assemble it a little at a time. More pictures to come!

11. Roadhazardguy

Roadhazardguy Member

Oh nice I see em now! Yep that looks like my blue.

12. Melman

Melman Member

Hey Guys,
    I got a little bit done on the truck.The weather here in GA was perfect for the shade tree mechanic.:D I added the wheel and drip molding. Put some insulation inside the doors, I will build up the window and door assemblies next week.