1" or 1.5" disc brake rotors?

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by monkeyman73, Feb 10, 2011.

1. monkeyman73

monkeyman73 Member

I want to buy some drop spindles for my 73 c10 1/2 ton-but I dont know if I
    have the 1" or 1.5" disc brake rotors,, whats the best way to find this out?:confused:

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Seriously :

Jack & safely block the front of the truck , remove a wheel and measure the rotor with any tape measure or ruler.....

Might as well retract the pads & give the rotor a spin whilst you're there , if it makes *any* noise or wobbles at the outer edge , the bearings need service RIGHT NOW .

3. monkeyman73

monkeyman73 Member

Thanks

well thank you for the reply , i guess it is just a matter of checking the rotor thickness... Will do , and check my bearings too ...
    Im gladd there are sites like this who can help us beginners ..

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

No Worries !

The good folks here know pretty much everything about your old truck , be it a bone stocker or Hot Rod DeLuxe so ask away ! .

I got some free time a while back and perused the older posts way back and learned a great deal .

5. nerfherder78

nerfherder78 Member

If you have access to a digital caliper (auto parts store loan-a-tool maybe?) that would be the most accurate way to measure them, and you can check the wear on your rotors. They should also have a minimum wear/turn thickness cast into them near the hub.

Anytime you have your tires off the ground is generally a good time to check for any play in the suspension. Rotor moving on the spindle = wheel bearings, Spindle/knuckle moving on the arms = ball joints. Never hurts to check your steering components as well.

Good luck with your project :D

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

What HE Said !

I just bought a new digital caliper @ Harbor Freight for $19.95 , it reads in inches or Millimeters and seems to be dead bang accurate , a nifty tool that's cheap and will help you learn .

When I went to replace my front pads , I did the usual grab the tire at the top and push/pull to check for looseness , no play but as soon as I retracted the caliper piston , the rotor began to wobble indicating loose wheel bearings .