What's this originally from?

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by 66 bob, Mar 15, 2003.

1. 66 bob

66 bob Member

I just pulled a truck 4spd from my 66 c-10. It is not the original tranny--originally had a 3spd on column--and I wonder what this came from. It has a part # of 3875779. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Glen

Glen Member

RE: What's this

Is reverse to the left and down? Most likely you have a Muncie 420. This was the Chevy and GMC 4 speed from 1947 (approx) to 1967. They put them in everything from 1/2 p/u's to 2-ton trucks. They are bullet proof, but can be a little hard to get parts for. If you type "Muncie 420" in your search engine, you will find several websites with pictures.

3. 66 bob

66 bob Member

Sounds like that's it Glenn. Thanks for helping with that. I'll check out that site.
    Bob

4. big_dog

big_dog Member

My tranny's reverse is left and down but it doesnt look anything like the tranny's on the websites i looked at and on the shift kit that came with the tranny, on one of the brakets there is "4/OD" i know what "OD" stand for, Overdrive. But i need some seals and gaskets and i dont have a clue where to start. Could you help me?

66' LWB Stepside
    AKA- Long and Low

5. 66 bob

66 bob Member

Glenn,
    Does the pin holding the shifter in punch out? and is it from one side to the other in any order? I've tapped on it, nothings moving and don't want to screw this up--but need to remove the shift handle.
    Bob

6. Glen

Glen Member

Bob,
    Sorry, Haven't checked the forum in a couple of days. You should be able to take a big pair of channel lock pliers, push down on the ring, at the base of the gearshift, turn it a 1/8 of a turn, and it will pop right up, and you can lift the gear shift up out of the tranny. Just make sure you are in nuetral. It makes it easier to put back together. If you have a service manual it shows the procedure for removing the gear shift.

7. 66 bob

66 bob Member

OUTSTANDING! Worked like a charm....Thanks! I knew it had to be a pretty simple system but was focused on what appeared to be a removable roll-pin as the key. Thanks again...I'll get this beast runnin' yet!:D