I know alot of you guys are keeping it original

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by backntyme55, Feb 20, 2011.

1. backntyme55

backntyme55 Member

I haven't posted or been on in a while but here is a look at what i have been up to. had to use sanderson headers to make the turn around the steering linkage. its got an ididit column and a heidt's superide ifs. wilwood front disc brakes and a march revolver serpentine system. i drove it labor day 2010 for the first time since i pulled the cab off the frame! and even through my fan thermostat failed, my power steering was dragging from air in the lines and my brand new master cylinder would not hold pressure to my front brakes it was a great day!
    rear end is from a 2001 explorer which was perfect width and had disc brakes too. a heidt's four link and a 19 gal gas tank available for the 55-59 trucks. working on the new install of aaw classic wire update too

Attached Files:

2. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

looks good

keep up the good work what engine did you your truck have before?

3. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

frame

what type of paint did you use on the frame?
    thanks
    Robert

4. backntyme55

backntyme55 Member

It was a thrifmaster 235 i believe and i also put in a 700r4 transmission too. after i had the frame sandblasted i used por 15 to paint the frame and after working with por15 i tell you it is tough stuff. the only thing that gets it is brake fluid. figuring out that master cylinder problem i went thru about 5 quarts of brake fluid and i got some on the engine mount i had painted. it bubbled it up fast. i used por15 on the floors after i replaced them to went up inside the cowling and every place i could reach. did the bottom of the cab while i had it off with por15 and then spray coated it with gatorguard bed liner to help control sound too. i'm sold on por15 it's good stuff

5. Bobby 57

Bobby 57 Member

I like. looks very simular to my 57 i just finished. i put the same gas tank in mine. make sure you have a good ground and make sure your float is set correctly,its easier to check now than later.keep up the good work

6. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

thanks

thanks for reply back looks real good.
    Bobby i have seen you truck here too also a fine looking truck.
    keep up the fine job.
    Robert

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Wow ~

That's a lot of hard work I see there , keep it up .

8. coilover

coilover Member

I'm not familiar with the Explorer rear end--yet. What are the round canister looking things under the left axle tube. Nice sanitary work and the Panard bar is perfectly level so not much deflection there. What thickness is your coilover mount tubing, both the round and square? The round tube the top of the coilover mounts to passes through the crossmember so it's in double shear but it does stick out what looks to be about 3". I'd keep an eye on this but if it's 3/16 wall or thicker it will be fine I'm sure. Of course with a good grade bolt you actually have the cross section of both the bolt and the tube and it's not likely to be hauling any heavy loads anymore so probably fine.

9. coilover

coilover Member

Oops, it's not in double shear but is doubly anchored.