up date

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by cowboy, Mar 20, 2003.

1. cowboy

cowboy Member

well its been a while since i have given an up date on my truck. so here goes. I'm rebuilding my 283. not a stock rebuild. when i'm done with that i'll start on the body work and then paint it. i have a 2speed powerglide to put in but i don't know when it will go in. slow progress right now but it should be painted this spring.
    The 283 will have domed pistions and a 350hp 327 cam .447 inch lift.
    cowboy

2. 57heaven

57heaven Member

:) howziit guy!

JMO, that cam is too big for your truck.

3. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Good luck finding fuel that it will run on too. For the best "Streetable" setup, try NOT to go above 10.5:1 compression ratio.

I wouldn't even go over 10:1, but I recognize that if it makes you happy, you gotta do it. ;)

DValentine

4. cowboy

cowboy Member

Hey 57 what makes you say that the cam is to big for my truck? just wondering. well i'll let ya'll know how it turns out in about 3 weeks going on vacation next week so i will be away from the engine and truck.
    cowboy

5. trustyrusty65

trustyrusty65 Member

Hey cowboy, it sounds like you've got your work cut out for you with the engine and all the other work, especially that body work. I'm working on the body of my truck also, and it is the hardest thing that I have ever done on it. I've been cutting rust out of the sides of my new '61 hood with a plasma cutter and die grinder and welding in new patches. Between burning my clothes and my hair, I found some time to write this.
    That cam does sound a little bit too big for a daily street-driven truck. I put a big cam in my truck at first too, but I ended up taking it out because I couldn't drive it very easily. I would also keep the compression ratio down so that you could drive it on pump gas(usually 91 octane). I think 10.5:1 compression would require 92 or 93 octane fuel or better, and gas is pricey enough these days without buying high test.
    I hope that your project goes well, and that you are pleased with the results, and until then. . . happy truckin' to ya!

-TrustyRusty :D

6. cowboy

cowboy Member

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-28-03 AT 00:19 AM (CST)]Well thanks for the imput. I don't know if i'll drive it daily or not but quiet a bit. my truck doesn't have a lot of rust to be cut out. i need to replace one inner fender and do some serious hood work like cuting rust and body work.
    hey 57 i wasn't trying to be rude. i was just wondering what makes you say that it is to big for my truck?
    Cowboy

7. Butch60stp

Butch60stp Member

Hey Cowboy....I guess they are thinking about how easy it will be for it to load up at a red light on those hot summer days. I had a cam that big in a Chevelle and everyone said it was too big also. I just put it in neutral at the lights and I had no problems. I did have the double hump heads (2:02/1:60 valves) so it did breath good which is a must with a big cam. I would think you would want another transmission so you could keep the RPM's higher all of the way up to speed. I had a powerglide and changed to a 350 because I didn't like the way it dropped RPM's when it shifted. That size cam needs to be wound up to achieve the performance it is designed to produce. If your motor breaths good enough and you have the place to turn it lose you'll have a blast. If thats not the case then you might consider a cam along the lines of the ones they put in Vettes. You get a powerband in a little higher RPM range than the cam that came in that motor, it will hit a different lick from the stock cam, plus add performance and reliability. JMO
    Butch

8. cowboy

cowboy Member

Hey thanks for your opinion
    cowboy

9. theokie64

theokie64 Member

hey cowboy
    I once put a 268comp cam in a 283 with 1.9int and 1.5 ex and i learned real quick that if you want to push the line with cam
    size in comparison with cubes the better you can fine tune the carburetion will sometimes let you slip by and be satisfied with
    the performance.
    worked for me!
    the okie 64

10. cowboy

cowboy Member

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-03-03 AT 00:34 AM (CST)]i picked up a set of sbc headers for 25$ to day. they are hookers headers. one tube is banged bad but i can fix it(just cut it out and weld in a new peace about 4 inches long).
    cowboy

11. 57heaven

57heaven Member

:) howziit cowboy!

heyyyyy, no offense taken. it was just my opinion.

with a truck(heavy), a slushbox('glide with high gearing), small cubes(283), unknown rear gears, a cam engineered for a larger engine(327), and the unavailability of correct octane fuel, the probability of it being mismatched and wrong for your application is high.

back in the old days, i had a duntov cam from a 283 'vette. with light weight, 4 barrel carb and stiff gearing, my 283 engine worked well.

of course, you can try installing the cam, and make the combination work.

you could also contact several cam manufacturers, and ask for their recommendations.

good luck, cowboy.:D

12. cowboy

cowboy Member

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-05-03 AT 00:01 AM (CST)]Thanks for the help.
    i haven't put the powerglide in yet and i have around 3.55:1 gearing so i mihgt try for a car four speed. i have a 3speed that i might could use. you think that the 3speed will hold up?
    cowboy

13. Butch60stp

Butch60stp Member

hey cowboy ...did you ever decide on what mufflers your going to run on your truck? <<<thumpity thump cam , hooker headers should give the nissan drivers a complex at the red lights lol
    Butch

14. cowboy

cowboy Member

Not really i was thinking headers and glass packes. with the glass packs bolted(or welded to the header) then a turn down. 2.5 inch pipe 18 long. i'm not sure about the muffler quiet yet.
    Nor am i sure about the tranny i wanna use. i got a powerglide, 3speed manual, and a granny low first four speed.
    cowboy