87 Chevy Stepside taillight wiring question

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by remist17, Feb 25, 2011.

1. remist17

remist17 Member

I purchased some new rear taillights for my 87 Chevy Stepside. The wiring must be all wrong since the brake light is now the reverse light and the running lights are not really bright.

I have three wires coming out of the bed... yellow, green and brown.
    The wires from the lights (purchased at Classicparts.com) Ones Brown, white, and red. Two are together and one is seperate original factory plugs on the bed. If any one can help me out with what wires go to what I would appreciate. I am looking for the wire id on the truck and I will figure out the lights. Example ; The single green wire is reverse. Brown is Taillight and yellow is brake.

Thanks

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Wiring Detail

I hate it that the repops almost never have the correct colors.... :mad: .

Anyway , to do this correctly , you'll need a test light and a jumper wire with an alligator clip on each end ~ use the test light to figure out which wire on the truck does what , then ground the new taillight and apply power to the various leads to figure out what color does what .

I'm sure you can figure out that the one single lamp wire is for the reversing lamp...

Remember : NO GROUND , WRONG CONNECTIONS ! .

3. nerfherder78

nerfherder78 Member

On the truck you should have:
    Lt Green - Reverse
    Brown - Taillights/Side markers
    Yellow - Brake/Left Signal
    Green - Brake/Right Signal

4. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

As said in the last post :)

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Lighting Question :

Has anyone here used those LED single circuit lamps ? (to replace a 23 CP lamp) .

I'm working on a totally different rig and some boob put a dual filiment # 1157 lamp it in so of course having both lit at the same time , melted & ruined a $200.00 :eek: lens...... (two of them actually)

I was thinking of trying these new LED things but NOT if they get overly hot......

Anyone know ? .

TIA ,

6. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

The Led's do not get hot. But you might need to change out your relay to different part #. Because they take less power, might make the singles flash in hyper speed like when you have one bulb burned out in circuit.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Thanx !

The vehicle in question (old Mercedes) has a transistorized flasher originally so that shouldn't be any problem .

I'm concerned because these things are prone to melting ther $200 taillight lens....

I like bright rear lights but at what cost ? .