It Was A Freebie!

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by 58Apache250, Aug 1, 2010.

1. 58Apache250

58Apache250 Member

Meet The Beast! My '78 C-20. This Poor Truck Actually survived 20+ years as a Farm Hand Truck on a Cotton-Farm! The Bed Got left at the Shredder Thursday. More Pics To Come.............

Attached Files:

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Da beast

Looks good to me ! .

What's the running gear ? .

Didja get a title too ? .

3. 58Apache250

58Apache250 Member

Ooops! It's A GMC

I Got the Title this Week, and Found out That it's a '75 GMC Sierra Classic 2500(Maybe I'll look at the Vin first next time!). A/C, PS, PB, TH400,
    350 4V, 14 Bolt Posi. and I have Stripped it completely to the frame- Now for the fun Stuff!!:p

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Sweet truck !

Looks to me like you're off to a good start .

Sadly , here in Ca. they crush *perfect* beds for scrap , DAILY :mad: .

I'm amazed at how little rust out it appears to have as GM didn't do squat on these for rust protection and there's mud traps in every inch of them . even in Los Angeles I see them with the cab roof rusted clean off at the pinchweld .

5. 58Apache250

58Apache250 Member

Mmmmmmmmmm...., Progress!

Ok, so it's been awhile since I've posted, But I have been busy.....

SEE???? Got LOTS more to do though! More Pics soon..............:D

Attached Files:

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Wow !

That's a lot of hard work there .

Are you making it a show truck ? .

Please keep us posted .

7. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

Nice start keep up the work & the post's

8. 58Apache250

58Apache250 Member

Here's The method to my madness;
    I work on Wheelchair Vans And Ambulances, so I need a good sturdy truck to run the shop errands. The Power train is ideal for towing (Standard Heavy-Duty Cooling With TH400 Fixed Yoke trans.), Service Parts are DIRT cheap, and the Biggest reason: Grease fittings on the control-arm pivots! :D Keep 'em greased, and they'll last forever!

Show truck?? Nah, Just a Work Truck, But I'll be able to take it to a Cruise-In and It'll fit in...:cool:

I hope to fire it By Labor Day, But March is Rust Removal Month (Rockers, Cab-Corners, and RH floor Pan).

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2011
  9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

A GREAT Plan !

As you know , if you read my various posts , I'm a BIG fan of the world's best work trucks , all made by The Generous Motor Corporation :D .

I agree , these will last nearly forever and would be many more left but for GN's cheaping out both on design and zero rust proofing , God knows that running gear is terrific and keeps going , and going , and going and (replace cam , gears & tappets) going , and going and going....... :p .

10. 58Apache250

58Apache250 Member

It Keeps Changing, and changing,.............

I've Been busy trying to keep my customers happy, so not much more progress since the last pics. Now, It seems the Program has changed for the better!:D

The Score: 1980 Custom Deluxe 30, A/C, PS, PB, 350 4 Spd with a Holmes 1100 Body, all there but the Chains & Dollies. Traded a stripped Out Ambulance for it, and drove it home. The Cab is Toast, but the rest was worth it.....Time to add to the Bolt Collection!:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

11. Roadhazardguy

Roadhazardguy Member

Awesome dude! Sounds like a good trade!

12. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Good Deal !

Just 'cause I'm nosy : what kinda Ambulance ? .

These old tow trucks have been hitting the Pick-A-Part yards in California fully equipped and it very good condition ! sadly , no one wants anything but the fenders & cosmetic bits .

You cannot tow a modern car with these so they're pretty much worthless :( .

I look at your new rig and wonder whatever happened to my old 1955 Chevy tow truck..... I miss it greatly .

13. 58Apache250

58Apache250 Member

'94 E-350 Ford with a Miller-McCoy Box. I Kept the running Gear & Lights for Stock

wheel-lifts are easy attachments, but the Insurance on the older units is pricey. My '04 Dodge has the updated version of this body, and it works EXTREMELY well on newer vehicles. anyhoo, this little gem will probably get the "NOT FOR HIRE" Signage, and be used to move my Parts collection around. I'm up to 50 '73-'87 Chevy GMC C-series Trucks, 25 F-series, and 30 E-Series Ambies, The collection grows Monthly:cool:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2011