How to remove rust and what primer to use????

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by steve l, Mar 7, 2011.

1. steve l

steve l Member

I removed the seat out of the cab this week end and found what you see in the picture below. Since I live in the burbs in CA I don't want to break out the wheel on the grinder to take all of the rust off cause I'm sure some of my neighbors would call the EPA once they see the dust cloud. Does anyone out there have a good manner for removing rust with some type of solvent or something like that??

Part two of my question is, once I have the rust out of the way, I want to do the prep and priming under the seat and floor and would just like to use rattle cans to do so. Does anyone have any suggestions as to good primer/paint that will work well on the newly prepped metal (once rust has been removed). Also any suggestions for the cab metal under the truck would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all for your help....

Attached Files:

2. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

http://www.eastwood.com/rust-solutions/treatment.html
    This link should help you out. The rust does look to bad yet I would try to clean off heavy spots make sure your metal does not have holes or is rusty on both side of that area. Then try Eastwood's Gel Rust Dissolver, Eastwood Rust Converter on, Rust Encapsulator - Paint Over Rust one or two of these should help you. but check out the site and then call them ask then sales pep. Good luck

3. steve l

steve l Member

Thanks Pontiac

Their website and products are just what I needed. This is an excellent resource.