old glass removal

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by tewSlow, Mar 9, 2011.

1. tewSlow

tewSlow Member

any advice on how to remove the old glass without shattering it? The rubber is hard as a rock

2. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Use a "SFH" not a "BFH":D Sorry, I'm in that kinda mood tonight!

Seriously though, patience and a good sharp x-acto knife will go far. If you slowly and methodically remove the rubber, you can normally get glass out of a vehicle. Just take your time!

Ken

3. coilover

coilover Member

As Ken stated, just keep going around the glass with the blade parallel to the glass surface till you hear the point of the blade scratching metal. A heat gun will help even on carbonized rubber but we use a Harbor Farce ($39) air hacksaw and a 6" long blade that can be kept flat to the glass. This is NO GOOD for a finish painted vehicle but will cut around a glass in a jiffy if ones just starting on it.

4. tewSlow

tewSlow Member

so I was half successful. I got the left side out but broke the top corner of the right side.

5. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

I take a big snap blade and go flat against the glass and up under the weatherstrip. Cut along the top and sides, then cut perpendicular to the rubber and follow the edge of the glass. It all comes off, then you lift out the glass, then pull all rubber off the cab.

6. federale

federale Member

I found the easiest way (for me) was to cut the rubber on the inside of the cab and push the glass out. If you are working alone, lay an old quilt or piece of carpeting on the hood in case the glass falls out.

7. tewSlow

tewSlow Member

That is sorta what i did. I cut the rubber until i could get some back out and then pulled it in reverse of installation. The rubber was fighting me hard to cut it. If I some type of a powered saw might have went a little easier.but it is out now so all is well.
    Hey Fed you live just up the road from me, I live just outside Jackson down 35

8. brit 50

brit 50 Member

Easiest way

Surround your truck with mattresses or something else nice and soft, tape up all the door gaps, locks or other holes, open the hood and shove a 1/8 inch rubber hose in through a bulkhead grommet, grab the biggest oxygen bottle you can find and make an adapter so that your 1/8 hose fits straight on, then whack the valve open and wait for the pop! You will find all your glass laying neatly around your truck on the mattresses:)

Worked for me;)

9. rtnnhazel

rtnnhazel Member

my buddy used to have a habit of braking the glass in his volkswagens so we would coat the rubber with wd40 to soften it up in the vegas heat. it seemed to revive the rubber and it always worked. Robert

10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Cracking / Breaking Flat Glass

This is always caused by haste ~ you have to keep cutting & cutting until the glass falls out ~ even if the rubber is still holding in one tiny area, when you try to push it out , it'll crack ~ that's the nature of flat glass .

I learned this the hard way back when used VW windshields were only $5.00 & the boss chewed my narrow behind terribly for cracking a few I was taking out and tried to rush the job .

A carpet knife or box cutter with a NEW blade is best as rubber dulls the blade quickly .

Hard rubber actually makes the job easier once you get the hang of doing this .

11. federale

federale Member

So, tewSlow, which side of Jackson are you on? It would be cool to get together this summer and trade a few ideas!

12. tewSlow

tewSlow Member

I live east, between Jackson and Wellston.