twisted drive shaft

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by big_dog, Apr 19, 2003.

1. big_dog

big_dog Member

Well i thought i had seen it all, until saturday. I have a two piece drive shaft. Well were the drive shafts connects,twisted in half as i was driving down the road. Lucky i was only a few hundred yards away from my house. Does anyone know of a one piece drive shaft that will work from an earlier model truck.

Thanks,
    Big Dog
    66 LWB SS

2. Glen

Glen Member

big dog,
    OUCH!! Most one piece shafts slip into the transmission. You have to have a slip somewhere to make up for suspension travel. Are you still running the stock transmission? Usually the two piece shaft bolts to a u-joint at the back.

I recently had the drive shaft rebuilt in my'59 1/2 ton. I had both u-joints replaced, the stub and slip replaced and the whole shaft balanced for $160, at a place called POWER TRAIN, in Tulsa, OK. Most major cities probably have some kind of drive shaft company. Look in the yellow pages. By the time you go buy a junkyard shaft, and hope its not worn out, and replace the u-joints, you are going to be out a $100 or better anyway.

3. big_dog

big_dog Member

Well i had thought about get one made. Thats probally the route im going to go. I have a trany out of a 69 firebird, i think its a muncie. But thats beside the point, the drive shaft twisted into where it connects and i dont think it helped that the swing bearing came with out a grease fitting. Then again it may be that 3:73 rear-end too. I dont know what happen but i know that its going to fixed.
    I live in Lufkin, Tx a little town of about 40,000. So the shops around town can jack up the price of a drive shaft. If you know anyone on the internet that makes drive shafts drop me a line.
    thanks
    big_dog

4. tech1

tech1 Member

I always go to the junk yard with a tape measure and dig through the driveshaft pile till I find the right size.