Intake swap

Discussion in 'Performance, Engine, and Transmission' started by Reinovator, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Reinovator

Reinovator Member

Howdy before I do this and start pulling whats left of my hair out chasing vacuum leaks, I need a little feed back
    I know I may need to do some adapting,
    Has any one put a EFI from a fuel injected ( 91 caprice 305 ) to a 85 4blt main 350 carb'd engine.
    What problems should I look for.
    Or should I use an adapter for the intake I have both 4brl and 2brl intakes

indecisive :rolleyes:

2. mikebte

mikebte Member

I have seen many EFI conversions and I dont see ant reason for yours to not work. Other then a 305 being a little smaller then a 350. So you may have to adjust your ecm to allow more fuel. But that should be it. Will your 305 intake bolt up on the 350. That would make for easyer swaping.

3. Reinovator

Reinovator Member

Thank you, I was planning to allow for putting a 'super chip' in the control unit if I need to.

I was just wondering if the intakes would interchange with out to much trouble. the gaskets look different on the ports but the bolt patterns look the same the angles are what concern me, and the deck height.

I ran into this problem a few years ago trying to put a stock sbc 400 intake on a 350 small block. It leaked on the bottom side of the intake, had to change it. found out a stock 350 will work on a 400 but not the reverse.:D

4. drabo

drabo Member

For the most part it should all bolt up. Pay paticular attention to the location to sensors. The big difference between the 85 sbc and the 91 sbc is the heads. 87-95 used center bolt heads which some times get confused with the 96-99 center bolt vortec heads. 87-95 heads had the same intake bolt angles as the 86 and earlier ones. A vortec manifold will not work with and older style head and vise versa.

Do a little research on the flow rate of the throttle body and injectors to see if it will send enough air/fuel mixture to power the 350. No matter what it will work but it might not perform to your liking if it is starving.

5. Reinovator

Reinovator Member

Thank you drabo, from what I could see concerning the intakes, by way of gaskets there was very little difference, gasket kit wise. but I needed to be sure

Concerning the flow rate can't that be adjusted by way of chip or injection opening duration.(sorry I can't remember the correct term) I've been out of the engine end of hot rodding for too long. I'm aware that some stock ECMs are reprogrammable, but there again, my excuse, or lack of staying up to date coming through again.
    Honestly I don't remember if a GM ECM is or if it was a ford I was dealing with 20 years ago, or if it was just a rumor, ie a 'super chip', or if it was flashing the bios with new software.
    I'M SO CONFUSED
    Some times I question why I went to so many OZZY concerts.

6. drabo

drabo Member

I am not an EFI person. But what I can say is that you can control flow rates of the injectors and throttle body with PCM change.

7. Reinovator

Reinovator Member

Thank you PCM, PCM. I will try to remember. :rolleyes: