apache hood fit 65?

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by 65chevyc10, Mar 25, 2011.

1. 65chevyc10

65chevyc10 Member

Does anyone know if a hood from a 60-61 chevy apache fit a 65c10?

2. markeb01

markeb01 Member

Yes it will. You just need to use the upper hood latch from the 60-61. The release handle points down in the gap at the center bottom of the hood. The 62-66 release handle points to the side in the rectangular opening. This applies to both Chevy and GMC hoods. The striker plate/bolt on the grille support is the same from 60-66.

I have a 62-66 Chevy hood on my 1960 GMC and it simply bolted on. And welcome to the forum!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  3. 65chevyc10

65chevyc10 Member

hood

Thanks for your reply.I was hoping it would fit.I was trying to find an Apache 60-61 with that hood style,but couldn't find the right one.I got itchy to build something and got my 65.Looking on line I've been seeing the Apaches and was going to buy one.
    This might be the cheaper way of going by putting on a different hood.I now just have to find one.
    Thanks again,
    Chuck

4. tinylevi

tinylevi Member

This kind of makes me sad. I love those big cat eye'd hoods from the early 60s.

5. markeb01

markeb01 Member

I share that sentiment, but unfortunately some early hoods aren’t worthy of restoration. My original hood was damaged in a deer collision back in the 60’s, and poorly repaired which work hardened the passenger side in a warped condition.

I actually wanted a 1960 Chevy hood, but 15 years of searching never turned up a decent example at an affordable price. Now that I’ve had the late model Chevy hood for so long it’s grown on me to the point I’ll probably never change it. And as much as I love the looks of the 60 Chevy hood, I always thought the GMC hoods were just plain butt ugly, since I saw my first one in 1960. I have come to appreciate their rarity and uniqueness, but still wouldn’t want one on my truck.

6. drabo

drabo Member

There is a company out there that sells fiberglass cat-eye hoods. I know it's not the same but truly it's the look your after.

7. 65chevyc10

65chevyc10 Member

Thanks for the reply.Do you happen to know the web site,or which direction to look for it?
    I tried googleing,but didn't see any sites with fiberglass hoods.

8. markeb01

markeb01 Member

This is the only source I'm aware of, and the hood is offered in race weight only.

http://www.usbody.com/

Just look under trucks and 60-66, the site won't allow me to link to the direct page. From the reviews I've read the fit is terrible, leaving customers wishing they hadn't spent the money.

9. 65chevyc10

65chevyc10 Member

Good to know.Thanks alot!
    I'm trying to upload pics of my65,but I'm using Adobe photo shop,and it won't allow me to tranfer,down load,save,or email any photos.I thought is was lack of computer skills,but my 18 year old got frustrated and quit also.I think I should also join an Adobe forum.