carb question

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by black61gmc, Apr 4, 2011.

1. black61gmc

black61gmc Member

I have a 61 gmc with 305. I was wondering if the plunger in this pic is supposed to go down when the gas pedal is pushed. the metal bracket on it will move down but the plunger does not. Also what is this part called.

I am having trouble starting the truck is the reason i ask. not sure if this is keeping fuel from getting to my carb or not. I have spark and fuel is getting to this point but dosent appear to be getting to the engine. I removed the fitting and blew air into the hole to verify that it was not plugged. I got air through so it is open. Thanks for any help.

[​IMG][/IMG]

2. Rich 5150 69

Rich 5150 69 Member

Yes, that is your accelerator pump, its just probbaly froze up, buy a carb kit for it, soak it overnight in Berryman carb cleaner ( apart) rinse off and blow out all passages, and install new parts.

3. black61gmc

black61gmc Member

ok thank you. is this carb easy to rebuild? can you recommend a rebuild kit for it?
    also what carb is this?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  4. Rich 5150 69

Rich 5150 69 Member

5. tinylevi

tinylevi Member

Maybe this will help?
    [​IMG]

6. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

Here's some advise....pull the v6 and put in a v8, you will get better mileage and have more power....Big Tim :cool:

7. dcsi5919

dcsi5919 Member

Here is some advice, "leave the 305 V6 in your truck and get it mechanically sound". Drive it around, to show everyone what an orginal GMC powerplant looks like.

8. tinylevi

tinylevi Member

Aaaaaaa, I cringe when people say this. The 305 Hercules is a beautiful engine. Sure it doesn't get the best mileage or have a lot of horsepower, but being GM's first V6 in a consumer vehicle, I think it has a nice place in history and it saddens me to see people pulling out such a unique engine to drop dime-a-dozen small blocks in instead.

I will GLADLY take any and all 305 V6's, 305 parts, manuals, etc that any of you don't want. I absolutely love the engine.

9. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

I had one in a 65 Jimmy I had once and I put a 400 Hp small block with 2 AFB's in my 61 and I get twice the gas mileage and have 3 times the horse power. Does this look like a dime a dozen small block or a dime a dozen inliner? Best of luck with your 305....Big Tim :cool: 001.jpg

004.jpg

002.jpg

tims pics 025.jpg

tims pics 026.jpg

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  10. BigBill

BigBill Member

Yep.

Reference: Any car show. All you're missing is bags, NOS, and maybe some big speakers.

And long hair.

If you're worried about gas mileage get a job.

If you're worried about speed get a car.

If you want a GMC, well. Enjoy your V6 and all the stares and oohs and ahhs you get when you pop the hood on that over engineered
    gamechanging piece of history. It'll be running long after those paper mache v8s are long dead.

To the OP, good luck with the V6.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  11. burgur

burgur Member

The truck is built more like a tractor, not a race car. I just rebuilt a Rochester BV single barrel carb yesterday and bought a nice Tomco kit from fuelpumpsusa.com. It has a nice diagram and settings which are very helpful. My accelerator pump had a piece missing from the plunger causing really bad hesitation and hard starting.