Brake Light Issue

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by babailey, Apr 18, 2011.

1. babailey

babailey Member

I finally got the correct lights that fit the rear fender for my original truck. So, I replaced the lights this weekend. Now I have a problem:

With the lights off, when I hit the brakes, both elements of the 1157 bulb lights (this is OK for daytime driving but I do not think it is correct). With the lights on, again both elements are on regardless of where the brake pedal is, so there is no indication of brake application with the lights on (no good for day or night driving).

I know the wiring is correct. Let me rephrase: I know there were only two wires on the old lights and only two wires on the new lights and those two wires have been connected correctly. What am I missing?

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Either poor grounding or the bulb socket is bad or poorly made , or out of position , something simple like that .

3. babailey

babailey Member

I suspected poor grounding but really did not know how to fix that issue. Should I just add a wire to connect the black wire on each light directly to the chassis?

4. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Sounds right.

5. JW 54

JW 54 Member

I had a similar problem with a 1973 MGB. I attached designated grounds to the tailight housings and attached to the frame. Problem solved. Good Luck.

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Tailight Grounding

First thing : go buy a new battery cleaning brush & paint it with a Foo-Foo can , when it's dry , use the male end of it to clean the bulb sockets until they're shiny inside , then blow the crud out & smear a bit of grease on the bulb , re - install and see whatcha got .

If still no worky , then add a ground wire , to the frame , not the box .