off forum:saved another one from crusher

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by tewSlow, Apr 9, 2011.

1. tewSlow

tewSlow Member

I saved this '66 3/4 ton from being scrapped. She aint the belle of the ball and will probably have to sit awhile while i finish up the '50 1/2ton, but at least I know another chevy didnt fall victim. The engine bay is open so the potential is limitless.

Attached Files:

2. federale

federale Member

Looks like there's room enough under that hood for an old 472 Caddy engine. Let your iminagination run wild on this one.:D

3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Looks Good !

I can't imagine scrapping a truck this nice .

Consider locating a 70's ~ 80's vintage long stroker 292 (that's 4.8 Liters folks !)
    thinwall I-6 as they're designed for severe service and AC , auto tranny etc. , etc. best of all : they're dirt cheap and no motor mount hassles.....

I like this truck .

4. gypsy truck

gypsy truck Member

looks pretty good from what i see. nice save! i once knew a guy in the kc area that had one similar to this but a GMC - can't remember the year. Boy, was that a sweet looking truck!

5. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

That looks to be really solid for an old Ohio truck. Good score!

6. Zig

Zig Member

Beautiful!

I had a 1/2 ton green one of those. I could only keep one, and my AD won out. No wait~ I traded my (64) for my AD. If I had the $$$ and space, I'd love to have another!
    Good on ya! Tub the back end! :cool:

7. tewSlow

tewSlow Member

I am completely agree, for an ohio truck that was used as a daily driver it is in good condition,especially for the whopping price of 600. we love our salt up here.
    Nate so i have read that the 292 passenger side mount is forward of where it is on other inlines. is this right or does the mount compensate for this? i have heard of one with a four speed for cheap not to far away, havent gotten around to calling him.
    I am alittle torn on the engine choice. I like leaving the engine era correct but i think it would fun to put some type of big block in it. A guy i work with thinks i should drop an inliner in it to make it a driver while building up something in the garage. i think i like this idea.

8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

292 Motor Mounts

I don't know (Evan will) but I doubt it because the '63 > I-6 engines are all very interchangable....

The 292's I've seen in AD's had conversion mounts of course .

9. ccharr

ccharr Member

I miss my 65 big rear window 3/4 T truck it had put a H/P 350 in it and I work the wheels off of it. Sat it at the side of the road one day with a sign on it FREE will run just need tlc, and within an hour it was gone. I had that truck from 1978 to 1999, the last 5 years it moved not. Thanks for the memory, that truck looks a little like it.