Converting vacuum to electric wipers

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by spika, Apr 23, 2011.

1. spika

spika Member

On my current 52 project, I'm wanting to convert the wiper drive to electric. On the Stude, I used a flexible cable drive kit from Specialty Power Window...worked pretty well, but thought I'd try something different on this one. Bought independent electric motors off an Ebay store, "Universal Street Rod Stainless Wiper Motor Kit". Actually looks to be a pretty decent product, but came with absolutely no instructions. In wanting the right and left wiper to work in opposing directions, and to park at opposite locations on the motor, it may take some work to figure out how to install the things. I can't help but think that it shouldn't be that tough to retrofit the motor drive to the original single-vacuum motor linkage and operate it like normal. Has anyone actually done this? Would be interested to see how others have approached it-

2. tewSlow

tewSlow Member

i converted to electric but the one i bought was designed for AD trucks, mounted in the stock location and hooked up to the original linkage.
    they do operate opposite each other, so they park horizontal in the center(or the arms point inward) and rotate to vertical outward. I dont know if that was what you were asking

3. federale

federale Member

I also bought one of these for my 53. Its one of the older ones only a single speed. The wiper shafts, arms and grommets must be in good shape or the wipers will flop all over like a dying fish. LOL

4. spika

spika Member

Thanks Guys. I hadn't seen the ones Classic sells before I had ordered these some time back. While the ones I bought are cheaper, they certainly aren't as straightforward to install as Classic's. They way I typically do things, I'll fiddle with these for a couple of evenings trying to get them to do what I want, then give up and order the simple ones...

5. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Go ahead and order the new control arms also, the knurled ends of the orig. ones are usually worn out, the wipers have a lot of play. Do it all at the same time. I have the set, just need time to replace on mine. The driver side has about 1/2 sweep of play.

6. spika

spika Member

Naw, when I bought these I thought it would be quite simple to just install one motor per wiper and eliminate the linkage issue. It didn't occur to me that the parking needed to be opposite until I had the motors and started thinking of how to best install them. I actually was thinking that the truck might have had two vacuum motors...I sure seemed to recall the 46 Studebaker having two...and didn't really give it all much thought. Once I got the old vacuum motor out and saw the rest was in pretty decent shape...(we're in Montana, remember...14" of rain a year...it takes more than 60 years to wear out a windshield wiper linkage here!!!)...I thought, gee, it should be easy to retrofit this motor onto the assembly in place of the original. It still looks to be a pretty straightforward process; we run a metal fab shop, so fitting it up really shouldn't be too tough, as long as the radial arc is close to the same, which it appears to be. I'll keep you posted on how it works...

7. spika

spika Member

I should find out in the next week or two if my plan will work or if I'll resort to the units you recommend. Guess I don't have much of a reputation of taking the simpler factory-option way very often...it's not always as much fun...
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  8. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Wiper arms/blades

Good morning Mr. Charr !! Still have the old classic arms and wiperblades but in the long term they wont do. Whant to change them out for some modern ones like you have.Where can i buy these together , fine if you have the prod.name and code please!

Martinius in beautifull Norway.

9. spika

spika Member

10. ccharr

ccharr Member

Good Morning Martinius,

I bought those wipers off Ebay some time back and can not find where I paid for them to give the name of the vendor. They were a package deal with the arm and blade sold together on Ebay . I will look some more as I get the computer time to search.

11. Volker

Volker Member

other wiper

bought 598989G 37-46 from Chev's of 40's.
    This motor is smaller than the other motors and fit's easier.

12. spika

spika Member

13. spika

spika Member

I suspect I'll go with those arms and blades too...thanks for that pointer. Here's the little motor and bracket ready to mount up that I was talking about. Looks like it should work quite well...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

I Like It !

As it looks like the old 6 volt VW Beetle wiper motors we used to use in just about everything....

That motor sure looks like a 1950's vintage SWF or BOSCH unit .

Where did you buy it and at what cost ? .

TIA ,

15. spika

spika Member

Came from a seller going by gearheadworld on Ebay, around $40. Seems like it should work if the motor lasts. I'm sure they're probably "imports"...most everything seems to be anymore.

16. brit 50

brit 50 Member

Lucas

I've fitted the old Lucas cable drive wiper motor in mine, bit of a tight fit but it does squeeze in. Motor is mounted up above the parking release handle.