Greetings from Huntsville, AL

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by mahlew, Mar 30, 2011.

1. mahlew

mahlew Member

Good morning,

My name is Will Mahle and I am glad to have found this group. I have just recently purchased a 1966 Chevy Stepside and would like to get some ideas on maintenance and restoration.

Attached Files:

• Anna.JPG
      Anna.JPG
      File size:
      158.5 KB
      Views:
  2. cgardner_64C10

cgardner_64C10 Member

Hello Will, welcome to the forum. I'm new myself. Just joined a few days ago. There is a lot of knowlegable folks here.
    Huntsville is a nice little town, I used th hang around Trianna alot.
    Nice ride.

3. mahlew

mahlew Member

Thanks cgardner. I used to live in Sumter SC for a few years while stationed at Shaw AFB. I really enjoyed SC

4. drabo

drabo Member

The most important purchase you can make for your truck is the two shop manuals.

5. mahlew

mahlew Member

Thanks for the advice drabo. An excellent idea.

6. my2ndgirl

my2ndgirl Member

Hey Mahlew..welcome. I to am knew here and have learned alot from these fella's also.
    Nice 66 by the way..I'm curious though...I noticed your radio antenna is on the left side?
    Mine is on the right. Anyone have any idea's as to why?...is it possible they just put them in either side at random?

7. Steve C 1964

Steve C 1964 Member

Hello Will. I am new here also. I have a 1964 Step side. I live just south of you In Cullman Al. Looks like you have a nice truck. Welcome and good luck.

8. markeb01

markeb01 Member

Welcome to the forum. It appears you bought a very nice ride that someone put a lot of care into. My suggestions would be take a lot of photos of it now, before anything might change. This is usually an overlooked task, and years later when many things have been modified or improved it’s disappointing to realize there aren’t any “before” pictures.

Next would be a complete systems check of all the operating features to make sure everything is working correctly, like brakes, steering, wipers, heater, turn signals, etc. If you find you have gremlins in the headlight or turn signal wiring, the first improvement is to add separate ground wires to each of the light buckets. These trucks originally depended on the ground side of the electrical system working its way through sheet metal connections back to the battery. After 40-50 years of use, dirt, and corrosion all sorts of odd problems can crop up.

If you get ambitious enough to tackle major restoration aspects, try to keep the projects small enough to get completed over a weekend. It’s much easier to remain enthusiastic about a truck you can actually drive and enjoy.

9. LEYLAND

LEYLAND Member

Welcome to the forum! There is a tonn of information for our trucks hidden in previous posts, take the time to search and you should find that most topics have been covered.

Your 66 looks to be in great shape, I bet it looks even better in person!

10. neslo5

neslo5 Member

I found the parts manual for the 60 series very helpful as well. Bought it off of Ebay a few years back.

11. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

Nice truck, if you decide to do any brake or steering upgrades let me know. I came up with a combination of things to use that is cheeeeeep and easy and you could possibly make money when you are done off of your left over parts. Everything you see here in these pix was built outside in the driveway including the conversion from a small window to a big back window...Big Tim:cool:

004.jpg

001.jpg

003.jpg

015.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  12. mahlew

mahlew Member

Brake Upgrade

Big Tim,

I would like to do a brake upgrade if you have some ideas. I got a quote and a brake upgrade is almost as much as I paid for the truck. I also would like a window regulator, sliding back window, and maybe fuel injection. It is running very good right now, just leaking a bit of oil.

Will