2008 GMC Sierra with starting problems..

Discussion in '1999-Present' started by JIMnWV, Dec 5, 2010.

1. JIMnWV

JIMnWV Member

Hello Everyone,

Kind of in Hopes Someone might be able to clue Me in on this truck. Just got it yesterday and it's doing something that a Friends truck was doing untill He got rid of it,....It seems that it takes spells that the security system blocks the starter and leaves You sitting wherever Your at, Everytime it happens a (service security system) shows in the dash, Has Anyone Heard or experienced any of this?

Thanks in Advance
    Jim

Attached Files:

2. drabo

drabo Member

Do you have remote start? I have a 99 Tahoe w/remote start. Some times if I used the key to start the truck it would go into security mode. To reset it turn the truck on and off 3 or four times and then it will start.

3. JIMnWV

JIMnWV Member

Hi drabo,

No, I don't have remote start. Hope it's something simple though, Hate to have a truck that I'm afraid to drive this time of year.

Jim

4. drabo

drabo Member

Ok try this :

open the driver side door.
    lock the door with the remote. Look inside the security light should be on .
    close the door and the light should go off in 15 or 20 sec.

Also the problem could be the ignition switch itself.

5. JIMnWV

JIMnWV Member

Well I got to Talk to My Wife this evening, and it turns out that the Dealership admitted to putting a chip in 1 of the 4 keys I got with it, and They Say that without the chip You can only unlock the door with that key, well I unlocked the door with a key Sunday Morning, and it blasted off with lights and horns, had to run in and get the key fob to shut it up. Sure like this truck...Hope it ain't a short term relatiomship.

Jim

6. drabo

drabo Member

Well it sounds like it may be a dealer created problem. If you just purchased it from a dealer or it is under warranty then have them fix it. Having the wife throw a fit in the middle of the show room has halped get things taken care of also. A dealer dosen't want their potential new customers to hear that they sold you a lemon.

7. cpt winters

cpt winters Member

Same Problem ? Any Know Fix?

I have a 2008 Gmc Sierra that I bought used and I was never issued the original keys for it, I have been having the same problem as described the truck will shut me out for 40 mins sometimes 20 mins and it has made me late too many times I will never buy another gm after this truck.

8. drabo

drabo Member

You can take your VIN to the dealer and have a new key made with a chip. Or you might be able to have the dealer disable the security system for a fee.