Wood bed

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by denisf, May 20, 2011.

1. denisf

denisf Member

My next project is to replace the wood in the bed of the truck. I bought a kit from sponsor, including the side rails that bolt to the sides of the bed and hold the last slats down.

The existing rails look to be original and only have 2 bolts each holding them in but they are clearly frozen.

Are they nuts and bolts or screwed into a treaded hole? Hard to get leverage on them, advice on removing?
    :confused:

2. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Denis, the original side rails were originally spot welded to the bed side. The 2 bolts that you are refering to are not to necessarily to hold the side rails to the bed side, but are actually bolts used to secure the rear fenders to the bed side. If you'll look under your fender you should see a series of bolts, washers and nuts attaching the fender. 2 of them pass through the side rail.

Ken

3. denisf

denisf Member

Thanks for the tip

4. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

I'm a picture kind of guy!

A picture is worth a thousand words they say. Here's a picture of a bed side and the holes associated to hang the fenders. The fenders are attached with "clutch head" bolts, washers and nuts.

DSC00353.jpg

Hope this helps.

Ken

5. denisf

denisf Member

fasteners

When I get home Tuesday I will post a pic. My two fasteners are not both near the fender. Each side has one near the cab. I have not spent much time investigatiing as I am traveling visiting family in Ohio.

But your pic is very helpful.

6. BIG CHEVY 3600

BIG CHEVY 3600 Member

I don't ever remember seeing an old truck with a virgin set of side rails. These trucks were built to work and that's just what they did. And in the process the rails were beat-up pretty well. not only the top rail but those bottom edges that were welded on can be missing like in the earlier post. Most will find the body work to bring it back to acceptable condition will be pretty pricey. I opted for a mar-K bed that is period original and have no complaints.

7. gypsy truck

gypsy truck Member

Angle strips?

when you say side rails, i assume you mean the bed angle strips? mine were completely in tact and in pretty decent shape, so i did not have to replace them and they were just painted the same as the bed box sides. (truck only had 20k miles and stored in a barn for the past 20 years) That picture Ken posted helps understand the bolt pattern (arch) and how the bed angle strip bolts through the bed side and into the fender at those 2 locations. I only see a total of 8 holes, but the catalog says there are 18 bolts needed for both rear fenders for 47-54. (that is 9 each side) There may be one more bolt hole we cannot see in this pic. I think there is a fender bracket/support? maybe that is the 9th hole? I will have to look closer at mine on the next visit. My understanding is that the primary function of the angle strips are to just hold down those 2 outside bed floor boards - and i can also see how they help keep the whole box square as it ties the bed sides to the bed floor. Good luck on your new floor - it will make a big difference.

8. denisf

denisf Member

Thanks

I will tackle and send pics next week.

9. denisf

denisf Member

bed side rails

OK got the bolts out but the rail will not budge. I assume decades of crude have built up.

Any suggestions for getting the rail off without damaging the bed sides too much?

10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Iirc ;

(having never rebuilt a bed) those side 90 degree rails are tack welded here & there....

I just slap in a sheet of plywood as I work my poor old trucks like mules .

Keep us posted .

11. denisf

denisf Member

I won

Well I succeeded in getting the side rails off. I think I will be spending some serious hours getting this area cleaned up and prepped.

My plan is to "arrest" the rust and do a real restoration sometime in the future (frame off).

Attached Files:

12. gypsy truck

gypsy truck Member

what a difference wood makes

You will be so happy when you get that wood laid down in the bed. What a difference it will make. I checked out your pics in your album and those tires are so sweet. where did you get them and what is the width of the whitewall? they look great - especially with the red rims and the black body. Good luck with it. I plan to build sideboards stained to match my red oak bed wood - someday.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 28, 2011