Need help removing 3/4 ton rear brake drums on '62 GMC

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by chromeisking, May 23, 2011.

1. chromeisking

chromeisking Member

I'm a new member to the forum and own a 1962 3/4 ton long-bed step-side GMC. My right rear wheel cylinder was leaking so I got a new part and was ready to install it. I've done many drum brakes in the past but this one has me totally stumped.

I've removed the brake lines, disconnected the wheel cylinder, removed the small inspection plate (with the 1/2 nuts), removed the tire/wheel assembly and removed the 8 bolts on the end of the axle hub and removed the right axle assembly. I next removed the lock rings and retainers that secure the axle and outer bearing.

When I wiggle the drum at the 3, 6 & 9 o'clock position it seems to be fairly free for movement. At the 12 o'clock position, it is not. I can find no retainer or clip at the top of the backplate and all screws/bolts are removed from the backplate. I cannot find a thread adjuster in the access panel to screw in the brake shoes but it doesn't seem to be a brake shoe problem, anyway. The access panel (with the 1/2" nuts) is a little confusing because of the small hole in it (?) and after completely removing the plate, there is no adjustment screw behind it.

The truck is in the garage and up on jack stands until I figure this out! Any thoughts or help is appreciated!

Scott

2. tinylevi

tinylevi Member

I'd bang on the drum with a hammer for a while

3. chromeisking

chromeisking Member

Thanks. I actually just finished the repair and had to borrow a three-legged hub/wheel puller. Since the axle shaft is open, after the axle is removed, I placed a stack of fender washers that covered the outer axle housing but was small enough to clear the inside of the outer wheel bearing. Once the drum was off (all 25-30 pounds of it!) it was simple. The problem with getting the drum off all hinged on the screw adjuster (at the bottom of the brake assembly) which could not be shortened because GM didn't make an access plate for the rear plate....why, I have no idea.

Thanks for your help!

Attached Files: