Lakeroadsters' Build Thread: '65 SWB Step

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by Lakeroadster, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

PM sent...

2. parkbro

parkbro Member

Love the modifications, Great Work, I can't wait to see more post...keep them coming.

3. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

05-10-2011: Strippin' The Doors

Stripped doors in preparation for interior paint and installation of glass channels and fuzzies.

Also will be installing GMC Paul's 67-72 push on style door weatherstripping. A member over at the 67-72 Chevy Trucks has used the newer seals and said they worked well. We'll see how they work on my old war-horse.

[​IMG]

I kind of like the look without the ventilator... but to me the vents are part of the neat iconic features of these old trucks... they'll be staying.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  4. Rich 5150 69

Rich 5150 69 Member

As always John nice work..:)

5. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Thanks Rich!

05-14-2011: Painting Interior of the Doors

Krylon Champagne Nouvea Brushed Metallic Paint is what I used. The metallic has more gold to it than the original, but is "good enough" for my ole beater shop truck. As rattle can paint goes this is pretty good stuff, applies nice. This will be the 3rd repaint since the original factory color. Previous owners painted the interior lime green (go figure), flat black and now "Champagne Nouvea" a rather Foo Foo name for what I think is decent color. It really shows all the contours and brightens up the interior.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  6. Rich 5150 69

Rich 5150 69 Member

The smilley looks as if he been sniffing fumes...:rolleyes:

7. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Him and me both, it kinda comes with the territory :eek:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  8. makkie_65

makkie_65 Member

looks clean

It looks really clean

9. Forcedinduction

Forcedinduction Member

Nice work and thanks for the info on the interior paint.

10. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

06-07-2011: Final Installation of Door Glass Weather stripping

Finished up installing the new door glass weather stripping. Quite an adventure, again partly due to the previous owners shenanigans. Found out the drivers side door glass actuator had one of the arms installed upside down. That raised the front of the glass up about 5/8".

Once I fixed that and installed all the new rubber products I am pretty pleased, except for one thing. The window fuzzies just are not designed right, and their quality is poor.

I went ahead and bought the chrome fuzzies because some of you posted that the black ones rust real quickly. Well they sit to low, actually slightly below the window sill door sheet metal. This makes the window in the up position just barely fitting into the upper track molding. And (2) of the retaining clips broke off during installation.

Window fuzzies are made in America by "Repops" in Pearcy Arkansas. I will follow up with contacting them tomorrow.

My question to you guys is do you know of anybody making these that fit in the correct factory location, flush with the window sill door sheet metal?

You can see in this photo how the outer window fuzzy is lower than the door window sill. About 0.160" low in front by the ventilator.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And just for comparison, here is how it looked when I bought the truck. Flat black rattle paint can everywhere....
    [​IMG]

Follow up on Re-pops, see post #304 on page 21:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  11. LEYLAND

LEYLAND Member

Your interior looks great, I can't believe its only an aerosol paint job!

Is that the factory steering column with an aftermarket wheel?

12. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Thanks Leyland. Interior paint came out better than expected. The key was lots of coats and a good quality spray can, Krylon sprays quite good.

I refurbished the stock steering column, painted it gloss black and used a Grant walnut wheel. See post #26 for additional information.

13. LostMy65

LostMy65 Member

I really like the grill.
    Some of the 64-66 trucks I looked at before finding my 66 service truck had rusted out in that grid area. What you've done is great solution if one didn't want to have to find a grill in better shape.

14. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

06-15-2011: Fauxtina Paint, Post #1

I started the patina process, and the step side bed is the "test bed", so to say. The process has thus far been a one step forward, one step back process.

First step was to clean all the "Gibbs" off the parts that I had covered them in last November (basically just wiped the parts off with xylene). The Gibbs did a really good job of protecting the parts for the last 7 months.

The plan is to go with Sherwin Williams Industrial products. There is a Sherwin Williams nearby and when I explained to the guy that manages the store what I was doing he seemed genuinely interested in this project. He set me up with some Sherwin Williams Kem-Flash Primer E61 R 26. When I first started using it I realized it dries way to quick, which makes brush and roller application practically impossible (Remember its a Patina paint job... that's how it's done). So then I read the "Application Data Sheet and it specifically states "spray only due to short dry time" (imagine that, :dohh: read first dummy! ) It's also too red (see photo below), needs to be more of a brownish tint for the patina effect to look correct.

Using my trusty "strip disc" and angle grinder I removed the 3 day old Kem-Flash. In the process I realized just how good the primer adhesion was. It took roughly twice as long to remove the new primer than the original paint and primer.

Next up: Sherwin Williams Kem Kromik primer. It is slower drying and is more of a brown shade of red oxide primer.

Bare with me on this guys. I know some of you think faking weathered paint is dopey, and using a brush and roller is even worse. But its a challenge I want to try.

Here are some sketches and a couple photos, lots more to come as things progress....

My Amateur Conceptual Sketch
    [​IMG]

Parts ready for primer
    [​IMG]

Removing the test coat of primer
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

06-17-2011: Fauxtina Paint, Post #2

Primed the step side bed components today with Sherwin Williams Kem-Kromik brown (red-oxide) primer. It really lays down nice and the color was spot on, at least IMO, for "Hot Rod Primer". Used a 4 inch roller and a brush and will be applying at least one more coat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  16. steve

steve Member

Some nice looking welds

I check your discreptions and pictures great job very nice work and truck, I had a GMC 64 with the pontoon hood, 307 v6 a tank of a truck.

17. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

06-21-2011: Fauxtina Paint, Post #3

Thanks Steve​

Rolled on the second coat of primer yesterday (in-process Faux-tina). The extra thickness and texture is needed so that, after application of color, the primer will show through the paint after sanding.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  18. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

06-26-2011: Fauxtina Paint, Post # 4

My wife wanted a 'preview' of the finished fauxtina look and I figured the tailgate was a good place to do that. We both like the red-oxide primer so much we toyed with leaving it primered (When I first bought the truck that was my plan).

Added some color to the inside of the tailgate, Rustoleum Orange rattle can. 320 grit sanding to follow.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  19. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

06-28-2011: Fauxtina Paint, Post #5

Here is what the inside of the tailgate looks like after sanding with some 320 grit. I need to knock down the gloss in the crevices with some red Scotch-brite pads.

Pretty stoked about how this turned out as it just what we were looking for.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

07-10-2011: Fauxtina Paint, Post #6

Finally got around to spraying the color coat on the stepside bed components.

I see a lot of sanding in my future :rolleyes:

[​IMG]