Door Locks

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Limey Trucker, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Limey Trucker

Limey Trucker Member

Ok folks question time again..........

Im trying to fit a new outside door lock to my '47 series 1 truck. The door lock is brand new and so is the door latch that the lock fits into.

I close the door until it engages with the striker plate then try and turn the key anti clockwise (towards the striker plate) and its very difficult to turn, then I assume you rotate it back the other way to enable the key to be withdrawn, but it doesnt go back that far then the whole assembly needs to be pulled back out.........

Is there a sequence of events prior to inserting the outside lock??? i.e. setting the latch with a screwdriver and then inserting the door lock and key together in the locked position.

Or is it that the brand new door latch needs lubricating????

Something isnt right because these keys are made of cheese and the one is about to snap off if I try anymore........

Any ideas anybody would be much appreciated

Many thanks

J

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Well ;

I had this same problem when I installed a N.O.S. passenger side door latch (thanx Joe !) , I tried lubricating it and cursed Joe under my breath a bit but in the end , or after a few days anyway , it loosened right up and has been fine ever since .

I too was very worried about snapping my old paper thin key off in the lock so I had a new copy made and used it carefully & gently until the latch wore in and loosened up .

3. Limey Trucker

Limey Trucker Member

Thanks Nate, I'll try some lube and a screwdriver first to loosen it up before I try correct lock.

Good idea about another cut, something out of some boring old mild carbon steel would be stronger lol.

Once again thanks, your a star !