Seat Belts

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by steve, Jun 8, 2011.

1. steve

steve Member

Hello everyone,

It's tagged, insured and now on the road just around the block for some adjustments; I added seatbelts and the old 4 way flashers with red blinking knob (got and extra NOS system if someone needs it). Still some adjustments and will need to charge the new AC with 134A. The Power steering is great went with the Toyota kit.

Attached Files:

2. babailey

babailey Member

Tell me more about the Toyota Kit. I was planning a Mustang II IFS with power steering, but I might be swayed to retain the old straight axle if this Toyota Kit will give me Power Steering on a straight axle.

3. AZ58Cameo

AZ58Cameo Member

Looking Good Steve!Glad To Finally See a Big Back Window With the 3-Point Seat Belts
    Installed,How Did You Attach The Belt to The Back Window Channel?
    I Have Seen a Slip In Sleeve and The Weld In Insert in Some Of the Kits You Can Get
    Just Curious as to How You attached Yours!
    I Want To add The seat Belts To My 58 Cameo and 59 Stepside!
    Good Looking Truck, Glad to See more Fellow Quad Head Lighters!
    Allen

4. steve

steve Member

Some additional Information

I went on CPP web page to download the instruction and kit number but the site was down I will try later.

I added some additional pictures, on my power steering keeping the straight axle and original steering column and wheel. The kit places the new 4x4 powering box approximately 2 inches closer to the firewall and inside the frame rails. I was able to shorten up my original column. Used a bearing kit also purchased at CPP. The listing for the bearing had incorrect dimensions; the sales person provided no clear explanation and tried to double talk his way out of the free shipping the correct size. The issue was with ID (inside dimensions) and OD (outside dimensions). They specify state how to measure for the bearings, but the instructions were incorrect however their sales bordure is correct. The service and the conversation I had is a whole other sad topic.
    Anyway the kit was complete (very detailed on drilling the holes in the frame), however they sent me a template that I called about and they indicated to discard the template provided it was for the 1960’s model Chevy.

The clearance of all parts of the steering is approximately one inch from the headers. This note "does not work with all headers was listed on the instructions" Notice my Detroit Speed serpentine belt system, second best mod.

Please keep in mind this steel truck body is from many trucks, (eight total) I hope I can adjust the 2004R from Gearstarr correctly.

Attached Files:

5. steve

steve Member

Seat Belt Install

Allen,

Thanks for the kind words; I purchased Juliano’s seat belts the instructions are for installation to the small back glass cabs. The “B” pillar steel bracket provided was too wide for the large window steel skinny pillar channel . Two options cut down the provided 1.5 x 5 inch steel bracket. Then the bracket would be approximately ¾ inch wide (as wide as the 1/2" nut) to fit into the large window “B” pillar. Also the seat belt attachment bolt that would be covered with the plastic hardware cover also was wider than the “B” pillar, sticking out into the door opening, didn’t like that look.

I followed the directions completely with just relocating to the rear side of the “B” pillar, the provided steel bracket fit and is out of the way. The floor straps are 16 or 18 inches an seem to be a little short, right at the back of the seat hard to reach, my seat is adjusted all the way back, I think I will changed them out for 20 inch long and maybe hard covered units also. I am happy with how they function and the way they look.
    http://www.bobshotrods.com/howto/3-point-seat-belt-install-in-1956-chevy-pick-up/

Steve

Attached Files:

6. babailey

babailey Member

Hey,

Thanks for the power steering pics and the closer pics of the seat belts. I'm going to do some more research on this.

I will second the comments about good job. I wish mine was as far along as yours. Good Job!

7. AZ58Cameo

AZ58Cameo Member

Steve,
    If You Located The Mount to the Back side Of the Pillar,Like I See In Your Pic's,
    Did You Have To Have The Glass Out To Drill For The Mount?
    Thanks,Allen

8. steve

steve Member

BIG Glass Pillar

Allen,

I installed all the glass in my cab, the toughest was the front windshield I’m not about to remove any at this point. I used my small pneumatic drill about 6 inches to drill the holes with a short bit. Once the ½ hole was drilled I place the Pillar support over the hole lined up the hut and screw in the large bolt (on the outside on the pillar) then I marked the two smaller holes for the pot rivets. Keep in mind once marked I did punch so the drill bit would not move. The pop rivets just keep the steel pillar support in place if you remove the larger single bolt.

9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Looking Good !

Do I understand you to say the upper seat belt support is only pop riveted into place ? that's very dangerous .

I like your truck and the clean build you have done .

10. AZ58Cameo

AZ58Cameo Member

Nate, He Pop Riveted The Gusset Plate, That Slips Up Inside the Vertical Pillar, just to Hold It In Place, So It Wont Fall Down And Out Of the Inside Of the Pillar,Like Steve Said, Just
    to Hold It In Place If he Happened to Un-Bolt The seat Belt at That Location!
    Allen

11. steve

steve Member

Thanks

Just got back from Travels,

Thanks Allen, Nate, the steel plate 2 inches x 4 four inches with the 1/2 inch welded nut is inside the "A" pillar.