Second Series 55 Headliner

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by ftrev1, May 21, 2011.

1. ftrev1

ftrev1 Member

Getting ready to put in second series 55 headliner in my Cameo, truck has been apart for some time, previous owner had bought a new headliner and had done a half xyz job of it. Its been out for a long time while I was doing the other work. I am currently getting ready to reinstall with new rubber retainer, it has a fairly heavy insulation type backing on it (3/8" or so) that appears to have been contact cemented to the back of the headliner and then to the underside of the roof, it doesn't make sense given the relatively tight fit with the rubber. Does anyone know what if anything goes there, it looks like the headliner could glue directly to the underside of the roof (if indeed it was glued originally) or did the rubber hold it in place. I would rather not glue it if its not necessary. Thanks for taking the time to read this and I appreciate any information/input, Frank

2. Bobby 57

Bobby 57 Member

the original headliner in my 57 was glued in place. i haven't installed a new one yet,i'm still trying do decided what i want up there. keep us posted on how it turns out.
    Bobby

3. steve

steve Member

Head Liner

I replaced mine with a rubber type mat glued ,it like the original the haft a$$ job I did was cutting the rubber short, It looks the rubber was tight in the corners, but went back approximately another 1/4 each corner, this times four corners, that one inch short! Hey it was all new to me; I plan on doing it over. This time I plan on installing some of that 1/8 inch insulated foil first over the whole cab top, then the finish head liner, most likely some stock looking stuff.

I don't think moisture will be a problem.

4. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

Here's a idea that I used on my 61. 1/8 " masonite covered with vinyl or you could use cloth. The trick is getting the right glue that won't release when your truck sits out in the sun. http://www.glueplace.com/ Go to this link and get the 1081 super adhesive. This is the only stuff I have used that didn't release after being in a hot cab....Big Tim :cool: 001.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  5. steve

steve Member

Cheap headliner

Hello,

A photo fo my $7.00 headliner, it's a heavy duty floor mat cut to fit. I may used something elese but for now it works.

Attached Files:

6. babailey

babailey Member

That is a great idea and it looks really nice. I will keep this in mind when itis time to change my headliner.

7. RobY56

RobY56 Member

Thanx for the link Big Tim. I used a military grade adhesive on carpet that I installed up top, and it did not hold every where so now I have to tear out.
    Also that gasket was the most difficult to put in of any I have come across. Didn't help that the carpet was a little thick. I like the masonite idea.

8. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

Thanks, It took a lot of experimenting and a lot of "looks good now and failed later" attempts but my latest attempt is going through it's second summer and still is hanging in there. good luck.... Big Tim :cool: