Proper Radiator cap and Termostat

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by steve, Jun 25, 2011.

1. steve

steve Member

Proper Radiator cap and thermostat ratings for a 1972 350 SB ? Seems like if runs hot from the start, not over heating but check existing thermostat opens at 210- 220, can’t read the cap settings, doesn’t overheat but don’t try to touch anything under the hood.

Any sugestions I'm open.

2. babailey

babailey Member

I always try to use a 180 thermostat for the 350's I have built in the past.

3. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

The early small blocks( pre fuel injection) use a 180 degree thermostat. The later ones with fuel injection use a 195 thermostat. If you are using a stock radiator you might want to consider a 160 thermostat and a low pressure cap so you don't blow out the core....Big Tim :cool:

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Proper Cooling

Is when you can maintain the coolant temp. right around 212° F ~ it'll have more power , better fuel economy and last much longer in the long run .

Of course , the underhood inferno is a PIA .

My solution is to use the largest radiator core I can squeeze in and let the thermostat do the work , add an electric fan live wired with a relay so it'll cool off after you park it , the fan only needs to run 5 ~ 10 minutes and helps with the heat soak .

5. steve

steve Member

Thanks Guys (to extreme)

Thanks, for the comments, it’s not overheating just so dam hot. Using my laser heat gun, the stats opening up at 189 (approximate) seems like under the hood just so hot. New rebuilt engine will run hotter, new HD rad no mechanical fan or fan gard, 16 inch electric that pusses air (I know pullers are more efficient) but may have to change to a more slimmer than a 2.5 inches. But with the condenser, trans cooler, I was think of the old GMC hood with that big ugly hole in the front.

You know I the type, if I had this GMC hood I would want the other, go figure.

Next topic adjusting that darn TV cable to work the 200 4r, trans