1963 parking brake cables

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by utceasar, Jan 28, 2003.

1. utceasar

utceasar Member

I, or the body shop, have a 1963 C10 longbed fleetside with a 230 six cylinder. The two rear emergency brake cables were frozen (rusted) when I got it. One has been soaking in kerosene since about 1996 or so but hasn't broken loose yet.

The guy at the garage that worked on it a few years back told me it was a First Series 1963, which he said basically meant it had a different parking brake cable that later-model year 1963s. It's all 1963 truck in the things that make a 1963 distinctive (wrap-around windshield, hump on guage cluster/speedometer and hump on glove box and one-year-only dash), but I can't seem to find anything else that identifies it as this mysterious First Series.

Any ideas? There are junkers around here, but most are not the right year for this situation or are mostly parted out. I understand 1963 was sort of a transitional year or something. Would changing the rearend to a more common 1964-66 be an option?

2. 57heaven

57heaven Member

:) howziit guy!
    which end of the emergency cable is frozen...inside the brake drum, or out?

3. utceasar

utceasar Member

Outside, but the whole cable is pretty much on big piece of rust. The sponsoring company said they sell both types of cables, one is a ball end and the other a ribboned end or something like that. I'll have to get to the body shop or my dad's to see which one.

Rick Wagner

4. tech1

tech1 Member

Early has a threaded end and late has a ball end

5. utceasar

utceasar Member

I'm still looking for 1963 first series rear brake cables for a long bed, the threaded kind, not the ball kind for 1963 1/2 through 1966. Chevyduty at first indicated it had them but then told me they only carried them for short beds, not long beds. No luck with the place they referred me to, a place that didn't even have any rear emergency brake cables listed for ANY 1963 Chevy pickup.

Rick Wagner

6. bk65

bk65 Member

Hey,

When I needed a parking brake cable that our hosts didn't carry, I got it from a company called Inline. It may be Inline Tubing. At any rate, they were able to provide one that was close enough to work. I had to change the bracket on the end with the one off the old cable but it all works now.

Brent

7. utceasar

utceasar Member

Thanks. I'll try them. If anybody from Chevyduty or the posting board community has any help here, I'd appreciate it. I'll be looking for some more parts soon.

Rick Wagner