Seafoam

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by benborden, Jul 12, 2011.

1. benborden

benborden Member

Not sure if anyone has run seafoam product through their motor and if so recommended or not.? according to the inhouse email, they claim its safe as it is an all petroleum product. Wanted to free up some carbon on my 54' 235. Thanks.

2. Wolf

Wolf Member

i have used the stuff for years with great success. I have found that it works fantastic. Its not a save all end all, but it sure does clear up some problems.

3. benborden

benborden Member

thanks. gona give it a try.. hope my neighbors dont call the fire department, due to excess smoke...

4. drabo

drabo Member

I have used ATF to do the same thing. It smokes like hell though.

5. federale

federale Member

The guys over on http://www.jeepforum.com swear by the stuff. Countless threads on its use. Don't tell anyone but I'm a Jeep owner too. :eek:

6. ccharr

ccharr Member

Besides the 60 CJ I have a 56 CJ also and some day I'll rebuild 56's engine one more time. Last time I paid someone to do it and it lasted three days and a rod went and the guy moved away so it sits. But as far as the seafoam goes on the tractor forum some of the guys use it as if it were a religion of some kind

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

It's good stuff ! .

If you have a gasoline powered engine that sits a lot , use it to get it running right again without dismantling the carby ~ that's its original design was for outboard motors , ski mobiles and Motocycles that tend to get put up wet at the end of the season then you don't want to waste a lot of time come next year when you drag them out again .

You can de - carbon any old engine pretty easily by misting water into the intake whilst it's warmed up and running fast .

DO NOT use the old timer's trick of pouring water in the intake as it can hydraulically lock & crack the pistons , bend the rods or worse .

A mist of water works because when it hits the hot carbon it flashes into steam & blows the carbon right off and down the tailpipe .

Kano Laboratories , makers of KROIL , have a <magic> elixir you pour in the spark plug holes & allow to soak a few days , it will dissolve the built up gummy crud & carbon in the piston ring lands , allowing an old engine to run well again .

Few " snake oils " are any good , KROIL & Sea Foam ate two .

ATF works well too , not as good as those others though .

8. federale

federale Member

Charles, you have way too many toys !:D

9. ccharr

ccharr Member

It would be nice if they all ran so I can maybe sell a few of em.

10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

"It would be nice if they all ran so I can maybe sell a few of em"

This is my problem ! .

I have some really nice old VW's & things but no one will even come take a look , I see worthless junk selling for high dollars at swap meets & OnLine , this is stupid :mad: .

C'est la Vie :rolleyes: .

Brendan said "you have a long history of building vehicles for other people Nate "