temperature sensor

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by drivea55, Jul 16, 2011.

1. drivea55

drivea55 Member

Well, I'm pulling the engine today but still have the temp sensor to remove. It's really stuck, or I just don't know what I'm doing. My manual tell me that yeah, I have one :eek:
    Any ideas on what I'm doing or doing wrong?

2. JSW

JSW Member

Hey Woody,
    How's it going? Can you show a picture of the temp sensor issue. I will be posting new pictures tommorow evening, project moving along pretty well now.

J

3. drivea55

drivea55 Member

Hey J,
    Well, I don't know that it matters much anymore. I sat at the pooter for a bit yesterday and saw that there was no one on line that might help. Went back out to the garage, and basically forgot what I was waiting for. Kept going with the engine removal and suddenly remembered, oops. And there was the sensor tube hanging there sticking out of the firewall, with nothing attached to the end of it :mad:
    So, now, a new adventure will be to find a new one, that won't cost an arm and a leg.
    However, the engine and tranny are out, and ready for dis-assembly, almost. OMG, remembering how all of the linkages go back together will be a certain nightmare.
    Haven't removed the bell housing and clutch yet, so they're still hanging on the hoist waiting for me.
    Gotta take the wife and daughter to Splashtown today, so won't get anymore done this weekend :( but it'll be nice to just kick back on the lazy river or something like that.
    BTW, I decided to remove the rockers and push rods before lifting, and that was no fun. I thought I was going to need the engine hoist to get the push rods out, cuz of all of the carbon buildup, but got em out by sticking a long jewelers screwdriver down the holes and breaking it all up. Don't think I did any damage, but will soon see.
    Have a good rest of your weekend J.
    Woody

4. JSW

JSW Member

Hey Woody,
    As many on this forum and others have said this hobby will definitely teach us patience. I know I am learning it every time I go out there and turn a wrench. Anyway, glad to hear you took time for some relaxation with the family. I am almost ready to pull the engine too. I am very interested in your temp sensor issue, I think I may have broken mine off when trying to remove it but I'm not sure. Are you rebuilding the engine yourself? I know how you feel about putting it all back together; I worry about that too, but I just tell myself with patience and help from the more experienced experts on the forums it will get done, that and I try to take a lot of pictures from many angles before I start a diassembly. Time will tell. Remember, you're having fun! Anniversary (31) tomorrow, so no work will get done. I can use a break anyway, 17 straight days in the Bama heat!

5. drivea55

drivea55 Member

Hey J,
    Well, I got this tip from a co-worker who has a 55' 210?
    The sensor is pressed into the top of the head, and has to be wiggled loose. Oh well for us. Now I just hope I can find an original replacement. I got the engine mounted to the stand last night, and removed the head bolts. It's been so long since I've rebuilt a motor that I was a little lost on how to get the head loose, but a little internet search gave me a simple solution. By putting a couple of wooden handled hammers in the exhaust ports and prying upward it should eventually come loose.
    BTW, I bought a cheap ass stand from Harbor F, and I'm not happy with it at all. The feet come in contact with the feet of my lift about six inches from the engine making contact with the stand, and the adjustable mounts don't match up to the block. Apparently, it's only designed for a V8. I got three mounts to match up, and went with it. For that reason, I'm real anxious to get the head removed to reduce the weight on the stand. At least I bought the heavier 1 ton stand. I promised myself that I wouldn't rush this, but I didn't keep that promise on this. I guess I'm a little anxious to get a look at the cylinders as well. Hopefully tonight I'll get a look.
    Also, happy 31st to you and yours, and a smart move not getting any truck work done;)

6. drivea55

drivea55 Member

J,
    Sorry I forgot to answer your first question. Yes, I'm doing the rebuild myself. Everything but the head. When I first got out of the Coast Guard, a million years ago, I went to work for a Cat distributor, and they started me in the component rebuild department doing heads (okay, I almost had to go somewhere with that :D ). It's not too difficult if you have all of the right tools and equipment. However, I have none and don't want the expense of them. I figure if I pay to have the block boiled, measured, and bored if necessary, I'm good to go on the rest. The shop I plan to use told me that they were cool with giving me the measurement results and waiting for the parts afterwards. By parts, I mean the cam bushings and probably the freeze plugs. I'll let them press those in, but they come with the complete rebuild kit. I won't know what kit to get until measurements are done.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Progress !

Sounds good , keep us posted .