Texas junkyards?

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by yodaman, Jul 23, 2011.

1. yodaman

yodaman Member

Hey y'all,
    I'm spending a few days down near Whitney, TX before heading back to Maryland. Anyone know of any good junkyards with old iron to check out? I'm looking to wander around and maybe pick up a few rear fenders and/or running boards.

Thanks,
    Josh

2. coilover

coilover Member

Little Valley Auto Ranch near Belton has quite an inventory I'm told. Wouldn't waste my time on CTC near Denton unless Bill Gates is with you. There was a huge yard on I35 north of Waco that covered sections rather than acres but haven't heard about it lately. They had NEVER crushed since the 30's or so but the Chinese might have changed all that; I know they did to all the ones close to me. A smaller yard with oldies is Crushers (his name, not occupation) near Farmersville. This is Audie Murphy's home town so visit the memorial if your old enough to remember WWII.

3. yodaman

yodaman Member

Thanks Evan,
    We're actually taking 35 down to Waco tomorrow so I'll keep my eyes open for that possible one....hafta pull up Rand Macnally maps to find Farmersville. I think Belton is about 1/2 hr past Waco or so...definitely worth calling. I will be headed back to drop off the inlaws and outlaws off at DFW Tuesday morning before driving east so maybe CTC as a last resort.

JZ

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Be Careful !

And wear a long sleeve shirt and sun hat plus take some water .

It's really scorching there now and heat exhaustion creeps up on you .

I had to stop before I'd finished pulling high speed pumpkins in the junkyard to - day , I love junk but I don't want to DIE for it :eek: .

I plan to be there to - morrow morning when they open the gate .

DO take a camera and get us some snaps .

5. yodaman

yodaman Member

Didn't see any big junkyards towards Waco. Saw a car shop/junkyard but the owner didn't have anything. Said his neighbor did but of course the neighbor wasn't home. The owner said they are making I35 six lanes each direction instead of two so they all had to move back. At least he got a new shop out of the deal. The good news is that I got a rear fender off Jimbo from eBay for what seems like a reasonable price. Nice fella to talk with. Sorry Nate, no junkyard pictures but if I can upload them a few from the Dr Pepper museum's old delivery truck.

JZ

Attached Files: