Power Steering Options

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by babailey, Aug 2, 2011.

1. babailey

babailey Member

OK, I am still looking for power steering options for a modified 1959 1/2 ton truck.

I've read several threads about various IFS kits (I really like this but do not like the cost or the work involved).

I've read several threads about using a late model camaro subframe (again, the work involved scares me).

I've read threads about using a 4X4 Toyota steering box and rack (not sure about this need to hear more opinions)

I was also wondering about just putting a power steering box and using my current steering setup and linkages, is this even possible?

Let me hear what you have done and Pros and Cons if you have them.

Thanks!

2. babailey

babailey Member

P.S. I already have a power steering pump in place, it is just not being used at the moment.

3. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

The option NOT to use is the one based on a GM 800 series power steering box. The box mounts on the outside of the frame, forward of the axle. Biggest problem is bump steer because of the very short drag link used. many of the Old Truck parts vendors sell this kit. I bought mine from Brothers.

The Toyota-based kit used a mid 80's Toyota 4wd power steering box (not a rack) that mounts in basically the stock position. Should be an easy installation on any 55.2-59 Chevy or GMC 1/2 ton with a small block Chevy V8, Chevy inline 6 or GMC inline 6. IT WILL NOT FIT ON A GMC (PONTIAC) V8 TRUCK because the starter and the steering box need to occupy the same space. You may have to do some re-routing of the parking brake cable.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  4. Bobby 57

Bobby 57 Member

I've had no problems with the toyota steering gear box on my 57. The last time i was at CPP (April this year) the rumor was they were working on there own steering gearbox design because it was getting harder to find the toyota box for the conversion.From talking with Bill it sounds like they've made some design changes since I installed mine 2 years ago.
    Good luck
    Bobby

5. babailey

babailey Member

Bobby57,

Did you just add a Toyota steering box, or did you add the entire CPP kit?

6. AZ58Cameo

AZ58Cameo Member

Hey Bill, Did you decide on anything yet for power Steering? Or are you Staying with the FLEX ARM STRONG Set Up?

7. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Still trying to decide.

The original CPP kit that emulates the Chevy power steering option which uses the original box, new drag link which incorporates load sensing to control fluid delivery to a hydraulic ram tha attaches between the frame and the tie rod as seen here: http://www.classicperform.com/Store/1947_59_Trucks/5559PSKA.htm This looks a bit Mickey Mouse to me.

No-Limit Engineering's "rack & pinion on the original I beam" solution looks good, but the Pontiac V8's starter and or left side exhaust system may get in the way. I'm still looking at this. http://www.nolimit.net/prodinfo.asp?number=PS-SA-

8. Bobby 57

Bobby 57 Member

Yes, I bought the complete kit ( 2 years ago). Judging from the conversation i had with they made a change on a bracket and mounting location since i purchased mine. I've heard there designing there gearbox and that was back in April.Mine did mount in the stock location the current generation design i'm not to sure about .Bill may be able to clarify that.
    Bobby

9. steve

steve Member

I also Installed the Toyota kit

I like the fact it’s a bolt on kit, not disturbing any suspension shocks etc. The steering column will need to be to be modified shorten, I reused mine. It works well and was impress how simple to install.

Will need to make sure headers will clear the box,

10. babailey

babailey Member

So, anyone out there familiar with the new CPP kit?

11. willie1957

willie1957 Member

Question?

Those of you who have installed the Toyota gearbox, do you know exactly what years will work? Also does it have to be from a 4 X 4?

Thanks

12. Bobby 57

Bobby 57 Member

I've got it at home in my build notes,i'll have look for them there are a few different years used. 1985 4 w.d i'm pretty sure is one but i'll have to double check my notes .I'll let you know later this evening.
    Bobby

13. Bobby 57

Bobby 57 Member

Willie,Nice color on your truck.Looks familiar. lol
    Bobby

14. willie1957

willie1957 Member

Thanks Bobby. Yea, it's been a while since I posted. I check in often though!

15. Bobby 57

Bobby 57 Member

Willie,1980-84 toyota p/u and 1985-1987 toyota 4x4 p/u gear boxes can be used according to my build notes.
    Bobby

16. willie1957

willie1957 Member

Sounds good. I actually found a pik-n-pull yard today where I can get a gearbox for $30. They had quite a few 80's toyota trucks to choose from.

I guess I have a project for Saturday morning.:)

Thanks

17. Bobby 57

Bobby 57 Member

Keep in mind the tapered spline is different. i believe its 13/16 x36. If your planning to come up with pieces yourself and build your own kit the is also a bracket you'll have to make for additional mounting support. Look at my previous post on my conversion to help. If you''d like can send you a P.M with my cell and you can give me call and i'll be glad to help.
    Bobby

18. willie1957

willie1957 Member

I would appreciate that Bobby.

19. Bobby 57

Bobby 57 Member

Check your private messages.
    Bobby

20. 55dude

55dude Member

the toyota box you need has to be off a 4x4 with a straight axle as the newer ones had independent front suspension. those were used around 86' up. my friend has one in his 56' and claims it works great. his is a "junkyard" conversion and the pitman arm is a modified one using 1/2 of stock one married to toyota arm. the box does bolt in with a special bracket (he made) in close to the stock location but you need to cut opening where stock box went through frame. next one we will remove the area and reweld in plate with relocated hole more towards top of frame. hope this helps!