Hot Aug. nites

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by ccharr, Aug 9, 2011.

1. ccharr

ccharr Member

Here is a shot of a COE in Reno's Hot August Nights.

And just a photo of a home made pickup

Attached Files:

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Farm Trucks & Doodlebugs

I notice the COE is a pickup....

Where is that cut down Sedan ? . I well remember these around the various Farms when Iwere a laddie long ago .

My Father went to Jolley Olde Englande right after The War and saw many pre war Rolls - Royces cut down into pickups .

3. federale

federale Member

Re:Cutdown

Wayyyyyyyyyyy back in the 30's some manufacturers offered a pickup bed option for cars. You removed the trunk lid and slid the pickup bed into the trunk cavity. Seen a few in pictures but never IRL.

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

" Coupe Express "

Is what they were called......

Studebaker and Chevrolet made them into the 1940's......

A young Japanese Mechanic I know who hates L6 engines keeps getting them as gifts from his many Uncles , all of whom , being Japanese , treated them very well indeed so they're all in VGC condition , especially the 1941 Chevrolet Coupe Express he hates that was given to him a couple years ago .

At least he doesn't Hot Rod & destroy them all .

5. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Also called "depression trucks", something about farm vehicles getting more gas rations.

6. sonny42

sonny42 Member

Delivery express

Here is a picture of one I saw at Shades Of The Past a few years back.It is a '37 chevy. It had been a delivery truck for a Chevy dealership.It had pictures taken in front of the dealership and GM literature from back in the day.GM called it a delivery express.Its the only factory one I've ever seen.I have seen lots of homemade ones when I was a kid.

Attached Files:

7. ccharr

ccharr Member

Attached Files:

8. spika

spika Member

Studebaker made the Coupe Express in 37 and 38, maybe 39, don't remember right now. I'd love to come across one...not many left that are rebuildable, and the cost of a rough starter is pretty steep usually. One of the coolest belongs to Jeff Rice...[​IMG]

9. spika

spika Member

That's pretty cool, Sonny...I've never seen a factory one before. There were certainly a good number of home-made pickups in the late twenties and thirties, and even during the war when you had to make due with whatever you had. Most of those were pretty rough contraptions...

10. ccharr

ccharr Member

more of

photos being sent via facebook by X #1 (I have 3) and the oldest Grandson, I asked for her to send some G photos ASAP however have been waiting for days to no avail, hope it doesn’t end before she finds one.

Attached Files: