wiring diagram

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by lizella, Oct 17, 2003.

1. lizella

lizella Member

need complete wiring diagram for 1965 chevy C-10 pick-up.previous
    owner has created a maze under dash,all wires have been over sprayed with red paint,converted to single wire alternator and jury rigged for lights and turn signals.Would like to redo wiring but need a starting point.Have not been able to locate truck wiring diagram,
    only auto,mainly looking for under dash but would like complete
    diagram.Grandson wired amp gague onto batt.wire at ign. and burned exciter wire out to starter sol.switch,not sure if anymore damage has been done.Any help will be appreciated
    Gene:'(

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

I would recommend that you invest in a Factory Service Manual. In the rear of the manual are the complete wiring diagrams. The manual is extreemly important to have when working on these older trucks and pays for itself by not breaking stuff you are trying to remove. It took me butchering a headlight switch, then seeing how easy it was to remove it the correct way, to convince me.

For the 65 you will need the 63 manual and the 65 supplement.

Dennis

3. lonolan

lonolan Member

I reccomend that you purchase a complete kit. You will probably spend less than $250, and these can be installed in about 10 hours. Right now, you are probably going to spend a lot longer than that troubleshooting the existing wiring.

4. bk65

bk65 Member

Gene,

I had to troubleshoot the 'high-quality' electrical repairs from several previous owners. In the end, I'd wished I'd purchase a new harness. It took too much time and way too many magic golf words to get things squared away with the old harness. Also, check the backside of the fuseblock. Mine had lots of corroded connections that were causing problems as well. Chevy Duty has harnesses that are already modified if you have an HEI distributor, one wire alternator, etc. It makes life much easier.

Brent

5. drabo

drabo Member

I would not even try to attempt this unless you have a strong electrical backgorund. It took me about two days to completely rewire my '66. However I am still planning to buy a real wiring harness. One of the biggest probles you will run in to is not being able to get the right connectors and the part store only carries so many different colors of wire. Troubleshooting becomes difficult if you have the same color wire for different circiuts.}>

6. KSever

KSever Member

Might want to check out this website for a wiring diagram. Maybe this will help get you through a tough spot. Look under tips and technical tricks then click on wiring diagrams.

http://www.60-66chevytrucks.com/

7. tech1

tech1 Member

We do carry wiring diagrams for your truck, they run about $4.95 52-990P is the number, and if you need a new harness get ahold of us we can hook you up with a nice replacment harness. 1-800-741-1678.