Weak fuel pump?

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by Zanes_Truck_64, Nov 30, 2003.

1. Zanes_Truck_64

Zanes_Truck_64 Member

My truck has an L6 230 and if I let it sit for a little bit the fuel drains from the carb back to the tank. When I try to start it the fuel doesn't reach the carb for about a minute, so it really drains the battery. Then when it does start and I rev it up real fast it spits & sputters through the tailpipe, but finally catches up. Does all this mean that my fuel pump is wearing out? My truck has 64,000 miles so I wouldn't dought it, but I'm not sure.
    Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Hi Zane,

It's difficult to tell exactly what could be wrong based on your description. It sounds like the carb is the place to start though.

If you lack the tools, take it to a qualified shop. They can tell you if the fuel pump is starting to go and if the carb needs tweaking.

Also, Remember that because your truck only has 64,000 miles you shouldn't assume things. AGE is the real factor to consider on these trucks. I know that I was starting to wear out when I hit 40 ! ;)

Dennis

3. jeffrey rehbine

jeffrey rehbine Member

I would try checking the floats in your carb first. See if they are to spec level (i think it's 1.25 inches). I would also check your vaccuum pressure to see if your up to snuff. In the past when I've driven trucks with high milage chevy 235 engines, they kinda did the same thing at start up (I needed to give them tons of choke and fuel to get them started -- especially if they'd been sitting for a while).
    I think the blow-by (due to excessive wear) did contributed to lower vaccuum.

You might be interested to know my current truck is very similar to yours. '65 longbed L6, 230, 4spd/floor with 65,000 original miles, all stock.
    My engine had a complete "overhaul" (whatever that means) about 20k miles ago (about 15 years ago). It runs great. I've restored to stock condition except for brake booster, wheels/tires/shocks/stereo.

4. tech1

tech1 Member

It might need a new accelerator pump in the carb if its bleeding back.

5. Zanes_Truck_64

Zanes_Truck_64 Member

Thanks for all your help guys.I guess I will start with the carb and work form there