Headlights - Yes..... Flashers - Ye

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by Che, Dec 28, 2003.

1. Che

Che Member

My Headlights work with no problem.
    But, if I turn them on, I have no brake lights.
    With the headlights off, I have only very dim brakelights.
    The tail lights I can never get to turn on.
    All this seems even stranger because both the front and rear flasher lights work great, even when the headlights are on.

All fuses seem to be fine. Does anyone have a clue where I go from here?

Your expert advice is much appreciated!

2. KSever

KSever Member

RE: Headlights - Yes..... Flashers

I would start by checking that the ground is good to the rear lights. As for no tailights I would check the light switch in the dash.

I had one dim headlight on the 63 C-10 and found it to be a bad ground terminal going to the one headlight.

3. cowboy

cowboy Member

I would try another dimmer switch. I had the problem where my tail lights wouldn't turn on but the headlights were on. so i tried another dimmer switched and it fixed my problem. and check your grounds
    Cowboy

4. Nic_Rebel450CA

Nic_Rebel450CA Member

Do your breaklights work with the ign in the off position? If not, they may be wired wrong and may be spliced in somewhere that they shouldnt be. Have the lights ever worked correctly? (I only ask this, because I dont know if this is a truck that you have had for a while and just recently had this problem, or if you are restoring a truck and this is a pre-existing problem).

Also check your connections at the light fixtures. If they are rusted or corroded then there will be too much resistance and will cause problems.

Do the headlights dim when you press the brake pedal? Do the brakelights work correctly when you have a turnsignal on? (One brakelight should be on steady while the other blinks to indicate the turn)

5. Che

Che Member

Thanks all for your help.

I've had this truck for awhile now, and only recently have had this tail light problem.

Rear blinkers work great.
    Tail lights - No.
    Brakelights only work when the headlights are off, and then are just barely visible.

I'll definitely check everything you've suggested, the ground, and dimmer, etc.

I'll keep you informed.

Nic_Rebel, I had noticed that the headlights dim when I press the brakes, is that a sympton of something?