Is pop and fizzle okay???

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GMC Pickups Talk' started by jeffrey rehbine, Sep 18, 2003.

1. jeffrey rehbine

jeffrey rehbine Member

Hey, Looking for advice from you inline 6ers out there. I just finished restoring my 65 C10 l/b. Looks and sounds way cool! The 230 six 4spd runs great and I'm having a ball driving in it. When the window's down, and I'm coasting down a hill, say in 2nd or 3rd, without my foot in the gas, I hear popping, snapping, and low rumbling coming outa the glass-pack exhaust.
    Once in a while a little backfire maybe. It sounds sweet, but is this okay????? Or is it supposed to just be smooth and quiet? I just don't want to damage anything if my timing were off or something. It doesn't run on or anything when I shut it off so I believe timing is good.
    Can anyone out there give the me the doctor's okay??

PS - I came up with an awesome passive kill-switch idea for this one.
    Let me know if your curious. . . :7

2. 74X4Burb

74X4Burb Member

It sounds like you might have an exaust leak. try checking were the exaust manifold meats the pipe.if it not an exaust leak I dont know what it could be,I dont know much about those engines.good luck.Karl

________
    Herbal Health

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  3. 59redtruck

59redtruck Member

Yeah, let's hear about the kill switch idea!

4. jeffrey rehbine

jeffrey rehbine Member

Hey Red,
    Here's what I did for kill switch. I bypassed the primary coil feed wire into a switch so that when the thief hotwires to start, the starter will still turn, but no spark. So thief will hopefully assume that he is flooding truck and will give up rather than look for the magic wire. Here's how to:

I used a highbeam floor switch for a '65 that I purchased from our host and I mounted it in the corner of foorboard where driveshaft hump and underseat tray area meet. Basically, that's under your right heel when you place your foot back towards the seat. The curve of the foormat hides it perfectly and nobody riding with you knows when your flipping the switch either.

Now wiring: I used 18g wire and only two of the three leads off of the highbeam switch. First locate primary power lead to positive side of coil. This comes from the ignition switch but I cut and spliced in my switch wire under the hood where I could conceal it under the wire wrapping. I connected in near the firewall for my '65 and then ran the wires through a small hole I drilled right behind the wire loom just past the firewall above the transmission. Then inside cab I ran wire under mat at bottom of driveshaft hump (on passenger side) then right turn under seat back over to switch.Other than mounting the switch w/screws, DO NOT GROUND THE SWITCH with 3rd lead. I tried using the 3rd lead for ground and had my wires smokin under hood for a few seconds before I realized what I did.
    Anyway, switch works great. When I go to shut off truck, I just hit the switch w/my right heel to know I killed her, then turn off ignition. Later, when I get back in I hit switch w/heel again before start.
    GOOD LUCK!!;)

5. 59redtruck

59redtruck Member

Cool, thanks for the info! I'm looking to install a kill switch pretty soon...

1959 Chevy Apache 36 Series 3/4-ton Stake Bed

6. techops

techops Member

I think that's what we used to call "rapping off". I think it's caused by backpressure in the engine. It really is noticeable on a standard transmission because of the amount of engine braking it allows. I had a 72 Fiat with an Ansa exhaust and it would rap like a 'gangsta on a good hill.

7. jeffrey rehbine

jeffrey rehbine Member

Thanks. That info makes me feel much better.:7