radiator problem

Discussion in 'Performance, Engine, and Transmission' started by oldtruckluvr, Sep 8, 2011.

1. oldtruckluvr

oldtruckluvr Member

I have a 54 chevy with 235. Awhile ago, i noticed that my radiator was leaking badly as soon as the truck warmed up. I took radiator to radiator shop and had it cleaned and there were no leaks at all. Put a new thermostat in as well. Whenever truck starts to warm up, the overflow tube starts draining all the fluid in the radiator. any ideas what could cause this? thanks!!

2. Larrys 48

Larrys 48 Member

Sounds like you need to install a "puke tank" to catch the fluid as it expands while heating up. There are OEM expansion tanks and aftermarket available.

3. drabo

drabo Member

Try replacing your radiator cap. The cap is supposed to relieve some pressure and if it doesn't it will blow your anti-freeze out through the over flow. If you have a catch can it will just fill it up too.

4. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

Radiator Cap

I don't know about the cars but the trucks use either a "0" or "4" lbs pressure cap i can't remember which but that wouldn't help stop the overflow. I had an engine with a soft lower radiator hose and with a new water pump sucked it closed - the engine overheated and then puked. Might check your hose for the same condition. Just a thought.

5. mikebte

mikebte Member

Yes a cap is what it sounds like your issue is. It should keep the coolant in until it reaches a set psi. Sounds like yours is running out as soon as it starts to worm up.