5 or 6 Lug?

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by Dads64, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Dads64

Dads64 Member

OK guys, I have posted a few times talking about getting started on '64 Short Step but deployments and life have slowed that a ton.

However, I have finally gotten to actually work and dig into this truck. My grandfather gave it to me as a pass on from my dad. They believed that it had a 327 in it and that was about all the info I got. As I uncover casting numbers and such I have found that it in fact has a 350 and a 12 bolt rearend. I haven't got to the Tranny yet.

Anyway, my first question after the background is what is the main reason for switching from 6 Lug to 5 Lug hubs on these things?

Thanks and sorry for the long post on such a little question,
    Jay

2. markeb01

markeb01 Member

There are two primary reasons. Most people do the swap to provide a greater selection of custom/aftermarket wheels. There are far more choices available in a 5 lug pattern than 6 lug.

Additionally, upgrading to front disc brakes for superior stopping power also provides the benefit of 5 lug disc brakes with stock parts, unless 6 lug rotors are added at extra expense.

If you just want a restored truck with drum brakes there is really no advantage in 5 lugs over 6. Should you choose to add disc brakes and a later 5 lug rear end, 62-66 hubcaps can be installed on 5 lug stock steel disc brake wheels, retaining the original appearance.

3. drabo

drabo Member

Also when converting to a disc set-up your stock 15" wheel might not fit with the caliper. If you go with an upgraded disc brake package you might have to step up to a 17" wheel to make it work. If you want to use the newer trucks with 6 lug wheel sets don't bother. The center will have to be drilled out putting the strength in question and the dishing of the wheel puts it to far under the truck. You can use spacers to fix this but they cost money and at that point you might as well just buy what fits. So basically 5 lug gives you a wider wheel selection.

4. Dads64

Dads64 Member

Well I plan on doing discs all the way around so that leaves me needing to get 5 lug axles for my 12 bolt right or do some of these kits come with the fix for this in the rear?

Thanks guys,
    Jay

5. drabo

drabo Member

I would say 5-lug is your best option.

6. markeb01

markeb01 Member

CPP offers 5 lug rear axles to slip into your original rear axle. This would eliminate the need to change the rear end, and also retain the original track width on the rear axle allowing more options on wheel selection:

http://www.classicperform.com/Store/1960_1972_Chevy_Truck/6369RAC-5.htm

7. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

You'll need to make some decisions, and those decisions will determine 5 lug or 6 lug.

What type of wheels do you like? If you like 5 spoke wheels, such as Cragars S/S, American Racing Torque Thrusts or Keystone Classics, then you have no choice but to swap to 5 lug.

You mention "discs all the way around". What type of discs? Aftermarket or stock? As was stated above, if you plan to run the BIG aftermarket brakes that will force you away from 15" wheels and into something bigger. But if you run a factory rear disc brake set-up or an aftermarket knock off of the factory versions, set-up for 60's cars, they will work with 15" wheels, but will be for 5 lug wheels.

I personally like the 15" 6 lug wheels and feel they give the truck more of an "era correct heavy duty" look. But then again I like aluminum slots and they are available in 6 lug.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011