question about speedometer cable sorta

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by tewSlow, Oct 23, 2011.

1. tewSlow

tewSlow Member

So thru the investigative process i have figured out that a previous owner broke off the square end of the speedo cable in the transmission and so far have been unable to get it out. Before i just went crazy and started tearing the trans apart i wanted to see if you fine gentleman any ideas how to get it out?

i didnt know if the gear is hollow, so once its out i could just push it out, my attempts so far is to dig at it with a pick-like object reaching up under the truck and ;stare at it and will it out with my mind:D

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Speedo Gear Woes

Unscrew it (oddbal size socket , I forget what) , hold it in your hand and whap it on a piced of hard wood so your fist hits , not the nose of the gear , the shock should move it a tiny bit , enough to grasp it with a sharp pair of dykes .

3. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Magnet? Lots of colorful language?

4. tewSlow

tewSlow Member

worked like a dream, Nate. I sprayed a little cleaner down in the hole, it loosened up and tapped it until the nub stuck out enough to grab it with my fingers. i didnt realize it screwed out, dried mud was covering the hex. For future readers it is a 15/16.
    Russ, the colorful language was mixed in with the first attempts.

5. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Usually is.

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

" Colorful Language "

Is always in the Mechanic's toolbox.... :rolleyes:

I find that many years of practice has helped me to learn the *precise* position to place my toung in the corner of my mouth when doing those tough jobs , makes things go much easier ya know :D .

Glad to be of assistance .

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011