column to floor shift?

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by Zanes_Truck_64, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Zanes_Truck_64

Zanes_Truck_64 Member

I have a 3 on the tree shifter in my 64 chevy and I can't stand it! I want to replace it with a floor shift. In the JC Whitney catalog i found a floor shifter for "American 3 speeds"(trucks). It is called the Daytona Performance floor shifter and is part # AJE811086P in case anybody wants to look it up. I want to know if I took the linkages out of my truck for the 3 on the tree and put this new shifter on the floor if it would work. Nowhere in the description does it say for conversion, so i'm kind of doughtful but I would really like to know. It seems like it could be done but I dont know where the linkages enter the tranny for the column shift. Can anybody help me? I would much rather make this work than try to find a four speed.

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

That type of conversion has been done for many years.
    Yes, it will work the trans. But ,,, You need to try and determine if there will be ;

1. Enough clearance between the shifter and the seat.

2. Not mounted too far forward, making shifting interesting if you are short armed !! ;)

Dennis

3. Zanes_Truck_64

Zanes_Truck_64 Member

thanks for the help, I'll take a look at the tranny to see if it will work.

4. CHEVYTRUCKNUT61

CHEVYTRUCKNUT61 Member

>thanks for the help, I'll take a look at the tranny to see
    >if it will work.

My truck had a three speed floor pan and a shifter couldn't fit between the tranny and the bottom of the cab.I changed the floor pan to four speed then I had plenty of room.:)