Our Veteran's Today

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by ccharr, Nov 11, 2011.

1. ccharr

ccharr Member

My hope is that we ALL remember our veteran's today.....No matter what service, or conflict, they were/are conected to!!!!

Thank You One and All

2. Purec4

Purec4 Member

Prayers to all who are serving, come home safe. Thank you all for making this country safe, and proud. Semper Fi

3. Flashlight

Flashlight Member

Greeneville, Tennessee....Looking out over the Smo
    I love a Parade!!

Yeah Rite!! Just read McCain..you know the soldiers friend ex-POW senator old presidential candidate:rolleyes:. Wants to cut Military Veterans and retiree's from their Health care plans...Can't afford them he says..NOW!! :eek:Well, quit creating so many disabled Vets and Retiree's. No Body in the world spends anything near what we do. Why do we have wars on two fronts. When we get home and the war is over...we're forgotton...again! Same old story. But soon we will be all over-payed retiree's and need retirement cuts. Hey, they are doing to teachers and anyone else with a retirement plan, GM, Ford etc etc.
    :mad:
    My $.02 worth...But Thanks you guys...we would all do it in a heart beat for you!! Speak to my right ear cause I cain't hear from my left, Dang Artillary!:D

4. Zig

Zig Member

Thanks!

I might still be in, if I weren't color blind. Kinda sucks messing with multi colored wires on a plane that costs a bunch of $$$$. So here I am, teaching kids to do their best. (As best as I can...)
    I never thought much about being in, but this day makes me think, "Hey, I was one of those folks." I am really happy to have served for this country, and would do it again in a heart beat.

When everyone is setting around the table at Thanksgiving time, please take a moment to think of that young kid who jumped into service that is all alone and miles from home and loved ones.

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Thank you !

To each and every Veteran out there , we all owe you a HUGE debt .

Sorry for the late reply , you know I'll never , ever forget , I miss many who are no longer here with us :( .

Washington should be ashamed .

6. Root2812

Root2812 Member

I personally get mad when someone thanks me for my service. I keep it to myself and smile so not to be mean. So often those thank you's are so empty. Its become more of a social convention to thank troops than to actually be thankful.

I logged on to facebook on veterans day and everyone I know had a status of "thank you veterans" but not a one of them actually acts like they care. Did a single one of them reach out to me when I came home injured? No. I did thank the people who did reach out because they showed they really cared (mainly my mom).

What happened to the real flag waveing? During WWII people were genuinely invested in the war effort and freedom. They really cared for the troops. The people actually felt the effect of the war far beyond their bank accounts. Then Veitnam came and those poor men were treated as criminals when they came back. They served and were called horrible things like "baby killer". I'm very glad that they have gotten the respect that they earned even if it is a few decades late. Here we are in the new millenium and patriotism has become a fad. Those facebook posts are made because that is what is expected of them. Same for all the celebritys, they do it to look good.

If people really support the troops then support them don't just use empty words!

I'm sorry if I come across as bitter. I've lost friends there and seen things I'd like to un-see. And it just really upsets me how people say things that they don't really understand.

Edit: To clarify, I am not talking about any of you or your thanks. I don't know you and I won't judge your sincerity. My above statements are a direct reflection of what I see on a daily basis.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  7. Flashlight

Flashlight Member

Glad you shared that Root, we've got a good group here who periodically use this spot to get things off their chests. I was thinking it probably took the VA over two years to get around to figuring out your disability too! Speaking of Facebook..I posted some pics of some blown up Iraqi tanks....some girl I don't even know writes back that we are nothing but "Murderers and Torturers". I stopped Facebook now realizing how much info is on there and how it can be twisted. Twin Towers are forgotten, times are tough, next it will be "you GI's are disability scammers"...They never wore 80lbs of gear on a 120 degree sunny day. I vent some here to, there's a lot of vets on here who understand. My field chest is permanently packed, I'm proud of my Uniform cause I am a Soldier, its my DNA!

8. Tailgater

Tailgater Member

I sincerely hope that I do not lose all credibility when i say that I have never served in the US armed forces. However, having said that, I am thankful everyday that I am an American. I am thankful that my freedom was won by the sacrifices of generations of heroes. On Friday I made the rounds in my small community to shake the hands of my neighbors that I know are veterans. I simply shook their hands and said thank you for your service. All through the year I do what I can. Most of these guys are in their 70s. I don't begin to suggest to know the individual sacrifices that the veterans on this site have made. But please believe me when I say that I have deep respect for anyone who has worn the uniform in service to this great nation and, by extension, in service to me.
    Regards,
    Bill

9. Root2812

Root2812 Member

Bill
    Thank you for what you said. Please don't let what I said make you feel like you lose cedibilty for not serving. By what you said it seems as though you genuinely mean it when you thank the vetreans.

10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Sad But True

As a young 'un I was chastised by my teachers in the early 1960's for being so impressed by the WWII Veterans who took the time to teach me and helped me to understand that movies are not real , they too suffered greatly and made do when they arrived home .

Root , , you don't post your name but you're right to be wary , one more reason why I don't go to facebook or other bullshyte social sites .

Here . your are appreciated and respected .

No one can undo the ignorance done during the Vietnam mess , sorry .
    I won't even try .

11. Root2812

Root2812 Member

Sorry, I never really sign my posts on any of the forums I am a member of. However, Root is my name... Last name... Otherwise it would be a strange screen name. :)

The movies you mention are definately a problem. They glorify war, except for a few. Now adays there are games like Call of Duty and such that make war and killing so popular. I got out of the military in 2006 at 23 years old and I was just shocked by the number of young men I met that said they just wanted to go over and fight. They craved the action and wished for blood, then they saw it for real and many came home with PTSD. They didn't know what they were asking for.

12. Root2812

Root2812 Member

I feel obligated to appologise to ccharr, the OP of this thread. My comments took your thread from a thank you to the veterans and sent it off some place else.

13. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Thanx Root !

You are SO right ! .

I take care of teenaged Foster boys in The Ghetto , in my youth , the Post Office or Military was always a good route to a successful adult life , now they're glued to those killing games , not realizing having your partner's brains splatter in your face is real and there's NO " start over " button :mad: .

What to do ? .

Please don't be mad , go out and testify , that's what I do because Children are our future , not to be wasted as cannot fodder .

14. ccharr

ccharr Member

Thanks for the thought, but the threads are an animal of their own and sometimes take paths that allow others to express views which are needed at the time. Again Thanks :)

15. Flashlight

Flashlight Member

Well Spoken Charles!

Flashlight

16. ccharr

ccharr Member

Your Welcome, and Thanks.