ok i need help

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by bodycount, Jun 27, 2010.

1. bodycount

bodycount Member

this is really pissing me off, first i have to say whoever invented smog MUST DIE SLOWLY

because i cant find a damn distributor with the little control module to plug into the 4 pin connector, second my carb is being a jerk it suddenly decided to make the truck run so rich while im happily speeding on the 405 freeway and it flooded...
    so 2 things im looking for
    HEI distributor with vacum advance and the control module with the 4 pin connector for the computer (i have a msd streetfire ignition to trade bought it for $500)
    and of course my stupid carb
    4bbl quadrajet, im guessing is electronic due to all the wires and vacum lines of pissmeoffness because they get in my damn way

truck is a 1985 chevy c10 scotssdale sidestep shortbed bla blabla
    my first truck bought for $1 and well i restored the whole thing and ye it decided it didnt like that im about ready to kill it and go find a 40s - 60s truck so i dont have all this smog shit and parts will be easy to find, HELP!
    and b4 u say look at lmc look here lmc does not have distributors or carbs for my specific truck that and lmc is wayyyy overpriced

2. bodycount

bodycount Member

forgot to say that the distributor i havve the msd one has a carb number thing so its 50 state legal, can i run it then without any 4pin plug? and still pass stupid smog?

3. nerfherder78

nerfherder78 Member

It's possible that without the connector hooked up it could still pass smog (I have a co-worker who bought a '90 Burb that passed CA smog without a cat installed). However if it that throws a code or the technician notices the connector, they could fail it.

The computer controlled carb they started using is one of main reasons I converted my truck to a diesel. If you already put a lot of work into this truck you might want to look into swapping the engine or carb out for something else (diesel, tbi/fuel injected, or an older motor if your state allows it).

4. bodycount

bodycount Member

im trying to keep the truck as stock as possible, and im not sure if it will throw a code or not, ill see what i can do about it throwing a code after i finish making it work without throwing the codes it throws now fucking carb is a nightmare

5. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

6. Romero86

Romero86 Member

Hi

I'm new here, but you know I had the same problem,but I bought the new distriburater and use computer in the junk yard:) and I fixed my problem.

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Carb & Dizzy Help

If you're looking for good prices on rebuilt parts , try RockAuto.com ~ I get quite a lot of good stuff there .

Computer controlled things are too new for me , sorry .

I see you're in Sunny So. Cal. , land of Fruits , Nuts & Flakes , there are numerous self service junkyards all over the place , I pretty much built my '76 GMC G2500 using them for good parts as lots of folks just give up and scrap 'em so there's alwasy lots of good carbys & Dizzy's , like that, mostly stock though .

Hang tough ! the reward is well worth the effort in the long run .