Replace the oil bath air filter?

Discussion in 'Performance, Engine, and Transmission' started by mikebte, Jan 29, 2011.

1. mikebte

mikebte Member

Ok. So I have found one way to remove my oil bath air cleaner and that is to install a holley 1946 carb, Is there any other way to do this using the model B carb. Im thinking I may have to be the first to make an adapter for this. Thanks guys.

2. mikebte

mikebte Member

Attached Files:

3. 3/4 gmc 1952

3/4 gmc 1952 Member

why the switch?

I am curious why youdecided to get rid of the oil bath? I have heard they are a very efficient filter system? Would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks

4. mikebte

mikebte Member

I love the oil bath. I am a fan of the oil bath myself. But after lots and lots of hear say I did the research. Found out that GM switch due to they had engine life increase after just swaping a paper filter in the oil baths place. Later on they figured out paper was in fact cleaner. Oil bath is great but it is not the best. They also found that engine life was greater after running the PCV air intake to the air cleaner increased engine life by 40% as opposed to the valve cover air intake. I went threw a lot of old books and lots of searching to find this info. But if you ask anyone that has a oil bath what is better they will tell you oil bath. Oil bath was for the most part better then nothing. The SAE has set standereds for air filters and they must clean so good to pass. Also oil bath dose not clean dust that well. The idea of oil bath is that it makes a 180 degree bend and slams the air into the oil and then hope the heavier particals would drop into the oil. Oil wetted air filters such as K&N have some of the best filtration around.

Best of luck 3/4 gmc 1952

5. 3/4 gmc 1952

3/4 gmc 1952 Member

Thank you for the reply. I swear every time I look at this forum I learn something new. Thaks for sharing your research. In my line of work we like evidence based research. Too bad I can't use this at work, nurses don't have a clue what oil bath means. I can just imagine where they would go with this. Next thing I know I would see somebody getting bathed with mineral oil or something. Hahaha now I am really off topic. Anyway thanks again.
    Jason

6. Vin63

Vin63 Member

That is exactly correct...combined with more efficient and higher performing and revving engine platforms, the simple valve cover vents (or, in some cases, no vents) and oil bath air filters gave way to PCVs, and paper air filters in vacuum actuated air cleaner assemblies, etc.