YOM Tag...Is California a two tag state?

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Flashlight, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Flashlight

Flashlight Member

Greeneville, Tennessee....Looking out over the Smo
    This is for you California AD'ers mainly. I was hoping to sell my place in Tennessee and move to Florida. Hoping to latch on to some reduced Real Estate. No buyers here, day dreaming mainly.:p

SWMBO saw some TV shows about moving to California because there were some great deals there as well. I like either, wines good in California too! No matter I still have to load the U-Haul and Drive it, what's a couple thousand more miles at my age.:eek:

I saw that I can put YOM tags on my 47'. Do I need to buy a two tag set or can I run just one....like most states? I see some pretty decent 47' tags now on Flea-bay. I will start my rant later my Gun Permit Reciprocity.:D

Flashlight

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Two tags

Although many LPD's are fairly lenient....

Be aware that Cali. now has the highest taxes in America....

I still think it's a good place to live and raise a family .

Certainly the 365 day a year Car Culture is terrific for us die hards .

You should spend some time visiting any place you think about moving to , including late night look abaouts as many change drastically when the sun goes down .

The Desert is nice as is the Northern areas , kinda dangerous where the pot growers and methheads have taken over but that's everywhere in America these days , just keep your eyes peeled .

When you get to So. Cali. the first beer and dinner is on me ! .

3. Flashlight

Flashlight Member

If SWMBO ain't happy, ain't nobody gonna be happy! Taxes are bad in Florida for property tax too. Seeing as she followed me all over the world for 27 years in the service, she can have her own wish in retirement. I still take orders as you can see.

I'll take you up on the dinner and beer, except I think she's looking at Sonoma County, so it might be a long time till we hook up'. Until I get cash in hand for this place the furniture stays put. So it is just a long term plan or dream now.

Still if I see some cheap 1947 tags by the pair I'll pick some up. Thanks Nate!

4. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Samuel Clemens once said...

"The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco!" The last time I visited the "Golden Gate", I'd have to agree with Mr. Twain! Labor Day 1987! Spent 3 days in Monterey, 2 days in the Sonoma/Napa Valley. Had to buy a heavy jacket in Fairfield, Ca.! California is awesome, but if you go north of San Fran, pack accordingly!

YOM laws in California? I've heard they are tough. One of the best sites I've seen that covers YOM laws is Turner Plates. Here's a link to their site. Be advised of 2 things, the info I give is based on what internet stuff I feel is halfway credible and nothing I tell you should be considered as valid until proven as fact by its governing body!

http://www.turnerplates.com/YOM Laws 01.html

Good luck!

Ken

5. Flashlight

Flashlight Member

Yeah, I spent five years at the Army Presidio SF, fond memories standing in formation beneath the Golden gate, a little clearing fog, and tankers sailing in. All gone now, closed up...too bad an end of an era. She wants to be about 50 miles north in Sonoma.

I followed a couple sales on fleabay...$200-300, yikes, guess I'm not the only nostalgic one wanting original tags. They will not let you restore them either! Maybe Robert La Troca got some 47's?

Flashlight

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Ca. YOM Plates

Yeah , yeah , you can't restore 'em (yawn) so , what happens when you show up @ The DMV with two freshly waxed *perfect* 1947 Commercial plates ? why they let you register them of course .

There plenty of places that either restore your old rusty ones or make brandy new copies....

Sonoma's nice , not for me tho' .

It's only a day's drive away , plenty of foreclosures and tax default sales going on always , many more right now so unless you want a mansion or yuppie palace , you're in good shape .

Besides , dreams are good for your soul , they keep you on your toes .

7. Flashlight

Flashlight Member

Will I be in trouble with the Smog Nazi's?

That's what I thought,

If I went to DMV with passable tags and got registered who would know that those were not to be reconditioned...later on. The police would be happier with easier to read tags...I would think.;)

Speaking of Commercial tags..they say you can put any tags on it...so could I get Commercial for the 47' pick-up. The Commercial tags were not bringing in the same money.

My other headache is my 82' Grand Wagoneer...there is no/nada/nix of any remaining smog gear. Am I gonna be in trouble? Isn't there a max dollar amount they will make you spend to get it to pass:cool:.

Flashlight

8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Good news !

There are SCADS of Jeeps in the many Self - Service junkyards across California so getting the necessary SMOG equipments will be simple & cheap , then you simply re place it all whilst correcting oil leaks & other basic fiddles ,it should whistle through the SMOG test as long as the engine is in good shape .

Don't fret nor put the horse before the cart , worry about this if you actually move here .

9. Flashlight

Flashlight Member

AHHHHH! Nothing like the sound of wisdom, the jeep runs like a champ. Getting decent milage too. Its been my whole last years project and getting near finished. It wood look great on the PCH...hate to put all that back on as I've got it pristine in there now.

Flashlight

10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

' Wisdom '

O.K. , when you find some wisdom , please share it with us.... :rolleyes: .

I had a fun (not) day in the local Pick-A-Part junkyard in the drizzle ,

11. Flashlight

Flashlight Member

They'll Prolly send me to Alcatraz!

So since I'm in Tennessee, I'm legal. I bought this beat up 1947 California tag for $8.50. I sent it off to a shop in Ft Lauderdale, a week later I get two pristine exact repro's of my tags.:cool:

Side by side you can't tell, they are a bit lighter weight then original's but not so anyone would notice. My question is how can I age these a bit to get a little patina. Yes, in california they would be over $900.:eek:

They also need holes drilled in them for mounting. I might run them on my front bumper to get some bugs on them. Do you think DMV would be suspicious? They are too perfect, not even shelf age.:D. Anyone know the DMV website to check if tags are clear?

Flashlight

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  12. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

They can kill you, but they can't eat you!

:D
    When I went over to the dark side, I noticed something at the Tomball DMV that I had never seen before. As I was standing in line, there was a guy 2 or 3 people in front of me with a beat up '50 Texas license plate. That peaked my curiousity, so I watched intently as he presented his case to the clerk. The first thing that she did was grab a magnet and place it on the license plate. It stuck and she was satisfied that it was of the same material (ferrous metal) as the original. She rejected it for other reasons, but she knew that it was original.

Now, on to your plates. The outfit that you sent your plates to uses aluminum blanks, hence the lighter weight. You can plead your case to the Calif. DMV, but my bet is that they will call BS on the plates as being repop.

I have collected license plates for several years and have never seen a perfect plate from the 40's or '50's. If they have ever been used on a vehicle, you will see indentations where the bolts or screws affixed them to the bracket. You will also see rust at those points as you have removed the paint while tightening the bolts and nuts. Most plates, no matter how good they are will show rust around the edges, especially the bottom portion. Aluminum does not rust, so there is the tattletale sign.

13. Flashlight

Flashlight Member

Is it that easy???

Yeah, they are aluminum,:rolleyes: hence the lighter weight. I thought I could drill the holes and mount them and mess up the paint a little. Metallic paint....would that do it? Check out the picture of them, they are awesome!

Flashlight

Attached Files:

14. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Cali. YOM Plates

It seems to me you're putting the cart before the horse here...

In any case , just join The Auto Club and do the YOM applicatin there , they don't waste time with tomfoolerly lke magnets ~ that DMV woman had serious mental issues to have done that .

15. Flashlight

Flashlight Member

Heck...I got the tags...may as well move!! Yeah your right Nate...maybe a bit early on these...I can still put them on for shows here..they get some attention. Not sure what the Auto Club is...guessing its the on-line DMV.

I did read on the DMV site that a personal appearance to check the plates was required for YOM. They say they look for legibility and servicability and that they must be officially produced. ;)

Charles...I did get two. Everything was going good too, SWMBO likes Bodega Bay near Santa Rosa. It seems the San Andreas fault goes right through it or a little off shore. :eek:

Then there's the Tsunami Inundation report let out last November. Someone was killed there last year in the Tsunami.:(

I think I figured out why every other house is For Sale and prices are reasonable.

Flashlight

16. Larrys 48

Larrys 48 Member

Flashlight - Make sure to watch 'The Birds' by Alfred Hitchcock before investing in Bodega Bay...and start a new retirement account so you can handle the CA state income tax.

17. Flashlight

Flashlight Member

You got that right Larry. When I do my 2011 taxes I'm gonna run a California state income tax just to see what its going to cost...guessing 5% of my net. My other consideration was Florida and they kick-it with property taxes even higher then California. I will definately be living less large then Tennessee, but I'm wanting a lifestyle change and more UV light.